Jim Nabors Marries at Age 82

He’s been with the same man for 38 years, and they’ve finally tied the knot. Oh, and apparently Jim Nabors is gay.

Back in the early 1970s, an urban legend sprung up that beloved TV comedian Jim Nabors had married Rock Hudson in a private ceremony. That was still cause for sniggering and dumb jokes in those days, so naturally it spread like wildfire. Fifteen years later, Hudson would publicly come out about his homosexuality, sadly not long before he succumbed to AIDS. Nabors, on the other hand, never commented on his personal life until just recently, when he and his longtime love Stan Cadwallader flew to Washington to get hitched.

Nabors and Cadwallader evidently met in 1975 in Honolulu, where Cadwallader was a firefighter, and have been together ever since. On a personal note, I have to say that I find it completely adorable whenever anyone gets married at an age like 82. It’s a time when too many people feel their lives are over and there’s nothing left to do but run out the clock, certainly it’s not an age to embark on a new adventure like marriage. And all right, after 38 years together it might not be the newest adventure, but I’m a romantic deep down, and I think that happy old couples are the sweetest thing ever. Congratulations to the new grooms, and may marriage bring them every joy.

There is at this time no word on whether other urban legends of the 1970s might be real, as Bigfoot and the Vanishing Hitchhiker declined to comment.

Photo via KPHO

Escape from the Man Box Premium Member

Want the best of The Good Men Project posts sent to you by email? Join our mailing list here.

NOW TRENDING ON GMP TV

James Franco Goes Man to Man with The Good Men Project
Good Men Project TV: Break Out of the Man Box!
A Stay At Home Dad Spills

About Noah Brand

Noah Brand is an Editor-at-Large at Good Men Project, and possibly also a cartoon character from the 1930s. His life, when it is written, will read better than it lived. He is usually found in Portland, Oregon, directly underneath a very nice hat.

Comments

1. Elizabeth Jackson says:

Jim Nabors & Stan were my neighbors when I lived in Kahala.Great people.very friendly;always talking to my surfer girlfriends and me on the beach.The first time I met him,he smiled and said,”How were the way-aves
    gur-urhls?”I was taken aback because he was J.N.&I grew up watching him on TV.I told him they were great & then said “You really do talk like that!”He then introduced us to Stan.They were really sweet.Used to see them a lot.My surfer girl group and I were just teenagers,but we were so happy for them.We used to say “now that’s true love!”It was the accent we couldn’t get over; not that he was gay.One of the kindest people ever.Mazel tov to him and Stan! <3

• Connie D. says:

I grew up with him too! Your message brought me to tears! LOVE IT! He is and always will be a gentleman! 38 years?!!!! And they called Britney Spears union of however long LEGAL (normal yet?!) Right on that he, like Uncle George Takei are finally getting their due!

2. That is nice news. I did laugh because I remember my (chrsitian missionary) parents talking about how he was a good christian based upon the christian songs he released back some time ago. He might a Xtian I suppose, but not my parents type.

3. That is sweet. Good for them!

4. Well Gollllllllly!!!

5. TC Ryker says:

Congratulations to the obviously happy couple.

6. Doesn’t the practice of sodomy cause global warming? (it’s a joke)

7. What a mess this is rediculous nowhere should it be legal if they are gay and want to live that way I have no problem with it even though I can’t imagine but in no way should it be legal It’s wrong

• Twofurbears says:

In your eyes, My other half and I have been together for 25 years now. We love each other vary much. We got marred in 2011, Best thing we have ever done.

• JoanMarino Maser says:

Congratulations, hope you have a long happy marriage. Ignore what ignorant people say. judge not, yeah you be judged. You have already proven your love for each other, now you have put that in vows which everyone should have the right to do or not to do.

• gaytexan says:

William, in no way should someone as ignorant as you be allowed to breathe, much less vote. Keep your hatred and fear to yourself

• Okay, William. Explain how it’s causing any harm to you or anyone else.

• Starshadow says:

If GLBTQ people pay taxes, william, then we should get the same (over a thousand) legal protections any other couple gets by marrying. It’s legal in a great many places, so your specious argument is null and void, and welcome to the wrong side of history.

That out of the way, I wish both his husband and he long and happy lives together, and I’m very happy they can be married. Congratulations and blessings to the pair.

• Connie D. says:

why does this bother you? It doesnt affect your taxes or money!!! It damn well should be legal!

38 years?!!!! And they called Britney Spears union of however long LEGAL (normal yet?!) Right on that he, like Uncle George Takei are finally getting their due! RIP to all gays who hid in secrecy until their deaths, ie Gertrude Stein, Lee Liberace, Rock Hudson, etc. They lived in HELL I only hope they can look down and rejoice at this milestone! Fianally GREAT NEWS! ooxx I never got to marry my partner, she passed away. We were together 40 years William.

8. Terry Oelmann says:

Congratulations Jim & Stan! I am FORMERLY from Indiana and LOVED it when you would come to the Indy 500, and am saddened that we will never see it sung there live again. After Indiana’s fiasco last week I hope you tell them you do not even want a recording of you singing “Back Home in Indiana” ever to be play’d there!

9. Condescending towards elders much?
    “Adorable”?
    Those of us over 60 are just as interested in the world around us and willing to try new things as 20-somethings. At least in my experience…
    Congratulations to the newlyweds and the author should examine his ageist attitudes.

• Easy there, Philip. This author was saying everything with a positive intent, that is quite clear. So maybe reexamine why you’re so sensitive but don’t project it on the folks here.

• I see your point, Philip. MANY people over their 80’s and 90’s, let alone 60’s are living vibrant, fulfilling lives. I definitely don’t think the author was intending any slight, but I’m glad that you spoke up.

• Congratulations, Philip. You have proven that older people are NOT all adorable.

10. You never asked Bigfoot. He lives in vining MN. Runs a gas station and everything.

11. By the way, that marriage happened toward the end of January in 2013, but it never hurts to wish them well.

12. Steven Harrison says:

Adorable? Life is over? Nothing left to do but run out the clock?
    This is a nice article about a celebration that happened a while ago but this writer’s choice of words is very poor and insulting. I have two friends past 90. One who still goes to work and the other who just enrolled in a computer class so that she can get a better job to afford a new car. My other friend in his mid 80s just decided to retire.
    I understand what this writer is trying to say but I think a more open view and less stereotyping would be in order; Especially when writing about a union that many choose to view in a narrow-minded manner with a great deal of stereotyping. Let’s not infantilize such long lives and use words like “adorable”.
    I’ve been a long time fan of Jim Nabors and still am 40 years later!

13. Sorry for my ignorance, I’m a Brit.:) but is this the chap that sings at the Indy 500?

14. JoanMarino Maser says:

I think everyone knew Jim was gay, they chose to ignore it because they loved his music. My dad always told us Rock Hudson was gay, I think you can tell, but who cares, it is their life and if that makes them happy more power to them. Congratulations Jim and Stan, I know my parents if they were alive would say the same thing. We all enjoyed your music and acting talent.

15. pbridge1300 says:

Congratulations, Jim and Stan, best wishes, and many happy years together.