If you didn’t know you could microwave bacon, your life is about to get a whole lot better. Cook bacon easily with Bruce Tretter’s picture book directions.
Nothing better than waking up to the smell and taste of freshly cooked bacon. And there’s no quicker way to cook that bacon than in the microwave oven. In fact, here are three fantastic advantages to cooking bacon in the microwave oven instead of a frying pan:
1. Less cooking time. Pan cooking 4 pieces of bacon takes at least 10 minutes. Cooking the same amount of bacon in the microwave oven takes less than 5 minutes.
2. Less fat and no splatter. The paper towel used to surround the bacon as it cooks in the microwave oven soaks up fat much more efficiently than paper towel placed under freshly cooked bacon that’s just been taken out of the frying pan.
3. Less clean up. The fat soaked paper towel surrounding the bacon as it cooks in the microwave oven goes in the trash. There’s no pan to cool, wipe clean with a paper towel and then later clean with soap and warm water like there is after cooking bacon in a frying pan.
Cooking Time: 3-4 minutes for 4 bacon pieces depending on desired chewy or crisp doneness
1-2 (or more) Slices of Pork or Turkey Bacon per person
Microwave Oven Safe Plate (large enough to hold bacon pieces)
Large Frying Pan (only used as a container for water to defrost bacon, if needed)
Potholder or Folded Dishtowel
1. If the bacon is already defrosted, skip to step 2. Otherwise, put the sealed bacon package in a large frying pan and fill with WARM (not HOT) water as shown. Defrosting will take 10-20 minutes. NOTE: I strongly recommend NOT using a microwave oven to defrost frozen bacon or any other food still wrapped in its plastic packaging as research has shown some plastics, when exposed to microwave heat, can melt and leach into the bacon or other food being defrosted.
2. For pork bacon (higher fat content), use 4 pieces of paper towel: 2 pieces underneath the bacon on a microwave oven safe plate and 2 pieces of paper towel to cover the bacon. For turkey bacon (lower fat content) use 2 pieces of paper towel: 1 piece of paper towel underneath the bacon on a microwave oven safe plate and 1 piece of paper towel to cover the bacon.
Cover the bacon with paper towel.
3. Put the plate in the microwave oven, and cook using your microwave oven HIGH heat or 100% power for the amount of time shown in the following table according to whether you want the pork or turkey bacon chewy or crisp. NOTE: I used a 1200-watt microwave oven to cook the bacon shown in this recipe. Cooking time will vary depending on your microwave oven wattage.
|Chewy Pork Bacon||Chewy Turkey Bacon||Crisp Pork Bacon||Crisp Turkey Bacon|
|3 – 3 1/2 minutes for 4 pieces of bacon (or 45 seconds per bacon piece if you’re cooking fewer than 4 pieces)||2 1/2 – 3 minutes for 4 pieces of bacon (or 40 seconds per bacon piece if you’re cooking fewer than 4 pieces)||4 minutes for 4 pieces of bacon (or 1 minutes per bacon piece if you’re cooking fewer than 4 pieces)||3 minutes for 4 pieces of bacon (or 45 seconds per bacon piece if you’re cooking fewer than 4 pieces)|
4. After cooking, use a potholder or folded dishtowel to remove the plate from the microwave oven, and check the bacon for doneness as shown in the table below.
5.To clean up, throw out the paper towel, and either put the dish you used in the dishwasher or clean with warm water and dish soap.
Images courtesy of Bruce Tretter