In the past year, I have had a heart attack, and have been shot at while driving in a car. It all made me realize that time is finite and that the choices I make really do matter. The reason I reflect back is not out of regret, but as an opportunity to take a deep breath; learn, do a better job and maybe even pass on some wisdom.
1. I wish I had realized that the choices I make have real consequences that don’t just affect me, but others as well.
2. I wish I knew what I wanted in life, instead of letting life determine what it is I became.
3. I wish I had been more confident about who I was so I could have been a better friend to myself, to my family and a stronger person for my children.
4. I wish I had remembered that even if time is, for all intents and purposes infinite, my experience of it in this bodily form definitely is not.
5. I wish I were as beautiful a person in my deeds as I would be if I lived according to the words that come out of my mouth.
6. I wish I had only slept with women I really loved.
7. I wish I had found a teacher to guide me when I was young enough to not know better.
8. I wish I hadn’t let my emotions overrun my mind.
9. I wish I could be more efficient in making the ideas in my head turn into the reality that surrounds me.
10. I wish I really believed in reincarnation and that there was such a thing as a life do-over.
Photo: Getty Images