We’re in an age of specialty, niche, and laser-focused targeting. Companies are paying top dollar for experts in their field, and social media lures us in with the promise of finding our tribe, the like-minded people who share a singular vision. It’s as if the message is: forget to be a Jack-of-all-trades to be master-of-one.
It’d make sense if we, as humans, really valued shallow, one-dimensional people, but we don’t. We like 3-D movies and multi-dimensional characters; we demand choices, flavors, various sizes, and assortments. How are you supposed to dedicate 110% of yourself exclusively while simultaneously displaying your depth as a man? Become the well-rounded guy, that’s how.
A well-rounded guy is, in essence, the extreme version of himself. The beauty is you needn’t search for anything more when you’re well-rounded because you have it all. You can be the quintessential man but if you’re worried you’re starting late and haven’t cultivated enough interest about you, here’s five tips to get you started.
1. Be active in at least five groups of friends. Stay in touch with them regularly enough that you could call them and ask a personal favor. Examples include co-workers, old pals from the neighborhood you grew up in, college buddies, your parents’ friends, church/temple friends, or professional colleagues you see at conferences or meetings.
Want a WOW factor? Cultivate friendships with people on vacation and then plan a future trip with them.
2. Have at least two hobbies. One can be a competitive game like golf, tennis, or hockey, and the other needs to be an activity you can enjoy with another person like fishing, hiking, or diving.
Want the WOW factor? Develop an extreme hobby like flying in helicopters or riding a motorcycle.
3. Expand your palette. Be the guy who eats with chopsticks or suggests a gastro pub. Learn to eat exotic food like mussels or cherries flambé. Practice properly grilling salmon or develop a signature dish that you always serve guests.
Want the WOW factor? Go to an ethnic restaurant and learn how to order off the menu in their native tongue.
4. Create a bucket list worthy of showing off and get started. This could be anything, and it’s personal, but think big. Challenge yourself to invent something, get published in a particular magazine or journal, or go skydiving.
5. Share your memories. Want to be unique and still a well-rounded guy? Have an adventure and live to tell the tale. Nothing is more attractive and intriguing than a man who has stories of love and heartache, success and failure, and isn’t afraid to share them all.
Photo: Flickr/ Luke Angus