-What I ache for, is for the women in my life to be able to do whatever they choose to do with their body, and their life, because it is their body and their life. Not mine, not yours, not the governments, not some old white woman who no longer can reproduce, not some white man who thinks he feels he knows better for all women, not some faith-based person who believes if they don’t do their best to save a “life” that they will miss out on another notch in their salvation belt to get into Heaven. Yes I get it, all these people are doing what they believe is best, but that’s what’s best for them, so let the rest of us do what’s best for us too.
Plain and simple: I want the women of this world to be able to do what they want to do with their lives and their bodies so that I can enjoy the same liberties.
This slippery slope we are now on isn’t just about women, it’s about us men too. If abortion is about not letting women choose what they can do with their body, then it’s not that far out of reach for a man to be told he can’t have a vasectomy because fathering children is his duty. It’s an invasion of what I choose to do with my life and my body, plain and simple.
So, let’s break this down.
I’m a man. I choose what’s right for a woman. Fair enough, even though it is so unfair, but play along with me. Let’s turn those tables.
As a man, women have decided…
• You can’t choose to have a vasectomy because your choice prevents a life from coming into being.
• You must take erectile dysfunction medicine, not because you miss pleasurable sex, but because your broken penis can’t procreate, and you must be able to procreate, and only procreate
• You cannot remain a single bachelor because that would mean you are denying the world of your bountiful seed which must be used to impregnate and populate
• You do not get to decide when your sperm is done being used. Your wife and the women of the world make the decision as to when you are no longer viable for reproductive purposes
How do you like the terms of that existence? NOT!
You see, I don’t want an abortion nor to have to make the sole decision whether to have an abortion, but if I were capable of actually getting pregnant, which I kind of am since my seed is part of the equation, I want to be able to contribute to that decision based on my own values, beliefs, and circumstances of my life, not because of some law that infringes on my personal rights. I don’t stand for that garbage.
Let’s be honest, set politics aside, even if necessary, set aside your religious beliefs for just a moment, and ask yourself these questions…
If your government told you, that you, as a man couldn’t…
• Drink alcohol because it infringed on your ability to procreate…
• Have sex unless it led to procreation…
• Masturbate because it interfered with the strength of your swimmers…
• Use condoms because your sperm is your contribution to society…
• Watch porn and get off because you were killing the child contained in your sperm
HOW VIOLATED WOULD YOU FEEL IN YOUR LIFE?
Yeah. I’m a man who wants the right to an abortion because it’s about my personal rights, my personal life, and my choices. Not anyone else’s but mine.
Whether it’s about abortion, the foods you choose to eat, the religion you choose to follow or not, who you can and can’t marry, and what you can’t do with your own body, it’s not about abortion, it’s about your rights to live your life your way.
I think all of us simply want to live on our terms, a life without apologies – and no laws telling us this is how you do that.
Let that sink in!
What’s Next? Talk with others. Take action.
We are proud of our SOCIAL INTEREST GROUPS—WEEKLY PHONE CALLS to discuss, gain insights, build communities— and help solve some of the most difficult challenges the world has today. Calls are for Members Only (although you can join the first call for free). Not yet a member of The Good Men Project? Join below!