What’s the old saying? “Happy Wife, Happy Life.” There is a 50% divorce rate in America. Talk about taking a gamble. It’s like playing the roulette in Vegas. You have a fifty percent shot of making it.
My mother-in-law gave me some great advice when I was young. She said if your marriage is going to last, you have to split everything 50-50. I took this advice very seriously. Happily married for 22 years and have two beautiful kids now. We all have marriage problems; it’s a fact of life. It’s how you handle those problems that make the difference. Who said marriage was easy? You’re always working on your relationship day in and day out.
1. Have a date night. Pick a day out of the week and go out. Where? Anywhere! Make an effort to spend quality time with your wife. Please leave your kids at home. Add it to your schedule. Don’t forget to leave your smartphones in the car. Don’t worry, you can always check in on Facebook later. Never cancel date night unless it’s an emergency. Try it out.
2. Communication. Now, we have smartphones that send messages in a matter of seconds. Send your wife an I love you text while she’s working or at home it goes a long way. Don’t be afraid to do it. You have to give to receive. Stop waiting for her to make the first move. Good morning kisses are the spark that starts the day on the right track, try it out.
3. Trust. If you don’t trust your wife, you are in the wrong relationship. Thinking negatively while she’s out shopping or working is not healthy. Trust takes time, especially for newlyweds. Remember marriage doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful.
4. Appreciation. When your wife cooks breakfast or come’s home from work tired, say thank you, or I love you. Working at home is a full-time job. I think they work harder at home compared to a job. Let’s try and be appreciative of all the little things that your wife does for you.
5. 50-50. If you want to hang out with the boys guess what? Your wife gets to do it, too. It could be as simple as having some coffee with friends. Try and balance your relationship, sometimes they’re one-sided. The 50-50 rule also applies to sex as well. Remember, when you give, you receive. That’s all I’m saying on that topic, but you get the idea.
We get so busy with everyday activities that we forget what our wives do for us. Treat your significant other as your best friend and lover, and you will do just fine. If your wife is not happy, try some of these steps, you won’t be disappointed. Be happy and live life to the fullest. Life is too short to be upset all the time.
Photo: Flickr/ Khánh Hmoong