If you’re thinking of becoming a successful entrepreneur in any business venture, you need to understand why Mind Management is critical.
Being born with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and becoming permanently confined to a wheelchair at the age of 22, you can only imagine how I needed to incorporate mind management very quickly to overcome many challenges in life.
There are several different techniques to program your subconscious mind for success. Many people allow their lives to be controlled by their emotions instead of taking control of their thoughts and processing them accordingly to make good decisions. Our minds are powerful and were designed for success as long as we can manage what we allow to come in and what we allow to go out.
Here are 4 reasons we should start managing our minds immediately.
1. It helps you to MANAGE your thoughts.
When you think of management, what do you think of? A manager, right? And what do managers do? They manage people’s time, quality, performance, and productivity. In essence, we are all managers because we’re all managing our own lives. To accurately manage these four things ask yourself:
- Am I making good with my time or am I spending it on things that are irrelevant and unnecessary? For example, if your mind is telling you to spend time on social media, the action will soon follow if you entertain the thought long enough. Every thought will become an intended action. The good news is, you have the power to control your thoughts and your actions. The first step then begins with telling yourself how much time you are willing to spend on a particular task, event or project. Don’t allow distractions to deter you. Believe me, they’re out there and will suck your time from right under your nose. Once you’re focused, you’ll have the mental stamina to dominate and excel in all areas.
- Am I telling myself a quality story about myself? Do you wake up every morning with a positive attitude and tell yourself that you’re going to crush the day? It might be helpful to start by affirming yourself before you leave the house, to set the tone for the day.
- Am I performing at my the level of my maximum potential or am I slacking and just getting by and “doing just enough?” (The mindset of a successful person is one that crushes everything they do and they never get outworked.) Dwayne Johnson aka “The Rock” says, “Always be the hardest working person in the room.”
- Am I being productive with my day? Are my goals getting accomplished or am I allowing myself to get distracted and not getting anything done?
I believe so passionately in mind management that I dedicated an entire chapter to it in my new book, “Don’t Let Your Struggle Become Your Standard: How To Be Indispensable Even When The Odds Are Stacked Against You.”
2. It helps you to INITIATE action.
We all know someone who talks about their dreams or goals and what they want to do in life but very seldom do we see them act upon it. Are you a “fire starter” and enjoy initiating projects, tasks, and teams, with the hopes of them growing exponentially?
Don’t be the person with the mindset that says, “Well, that’s not my job or it’s not my fault!” That’s a big NO NO in any industry.
Entrepreneurship is not only about taking action, but it is the epitome of taking massive action. They say that there are three types of people in the world: Those who watch things happen, those who let things happen, and those who make things happen. Which one will you be this year?
3. It leaves no room for NEGATIVITY.
Have you ever had a negative thought or encounter with someone and your whole day was turned upside down? Cleveland Clinic did a study that shows thinking negatively can become a habit and can actually create additional problems such as anxiety, depression and excessive worrying thus decreasing productivity. It went on to say that we think approximately 50,000 thoughts per day and 85% of those thoughts are negative. If that’s the case then mind management is definitely a necessity.
If we are to become successful in crushing negativity then we must protect ourselves from what we allow our minds to absorb. That means avoiding negative talk, negative radio and TV, and definitely negative people (yes, including friends and family.)
One of the world’s leading motivational speakers who happens to be my friend and mentor, Les Brown is always saying that he hangs around “only quality people” (OQP.) He said he doesn’t even engage in a conversation unless it’s positive, productive, or profitable. Great advice!
4. It will help you to be DETERMINED to add value to yourself and others.
Being an entrepreneur means you had a vision of helping or serving others by adding tremendous value to them and the marketplace. However, you can never add value to others unless you value yourself first. Do you know that you are valuable and the gifts you were born with are needed in this world today? Are you affirming yourself on a daily basis? Do you believe in yourself and are you thinking positive thoughts? If you answered no to any of these questions, the good news is you can change the way you think and manage your thoughts today.
Never downplay your abilities, I did that for many years and it got me nowhere. It wasn’t until I changed my mindset and my thought processes, that I was able to reach a greater level of success and peace of mind. Having the ability to control your thoughts and your mind is one of the best forms of freedom anyone can have. I encourage you to start today if you haven’t already.
A Version of this post was originally published on ThriveGlobal and is republished here with permission from the author.
What’s your take on what you just read? Comment below or write a response and submit to us your own point of view or reaction here at the red box, below, which links to our submissions portal.
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project, please join us as a Premium Member, today.
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.
Photo credit: Getty Images