While I gave birth to one son, I am a mother to many. I am a mother to boys, girls, women and men of all ages. Sometimes, I’m a mother to those who are older than me. Age, gender, race and genetics are completely irrelevant to this mother.
What is a mother?
- To me, a mother is someone who encourages, supports, and believes in you always and in all ways.
- A mother is someone you who stands beside you at all times.
- A mother often walks in front of you to make sure the path is clear and safe before leading the way for you.
- A mother walks behind you when it’s your time to stand in the spotlight and smiles broadly as you shine your light brilliantly.
- A mother ensures you are safe and your needs are met.
- A mother goes beyond your needs and helps you achieve your wants and desires too.
- A mother gives you the freedom to determine your own hopes and dreams from the longings in your own heart.
- A mother then holds you accountable to achieve the dreams you’ve set for yourself.
- A mother communicates with you, listens to you, and negotiates with you—often having hard conversations when necessary.
- A mother provides guidance but also stands back and lets you learn your own lessons, careful not to enable.
- A mother has faith in you—often more than you have in yourself. When you’re running short, she gives you hers.
- A mother has an endless supply of love, hugs and room in heart and home for you and everyone in your collective. She’s quick to pull you into her heart, home and bosom.
- A mother also holds her own hand and heart knowing full well her job is to is to develop fully independent offspring.
- A mother takes great pride in her tribe and while they make her infinitely happy, she does not burden them with the responsibility to create her happiness—she makes her own sunshine.
- A mother is a mirror reflecting your own beauty, courage, strength and tenacity right back to you.
Sometimes in the process of mothering others, we become our own best mothers.
May you and all your ‘Mothers’ have a great Mother’s Day.