For many guys, it is getting very complicated to be a good man in this post #metoo world.
Listen to Real Men Feel, #160, “Talking Modern Manhood with Cleo Stiller” here:
Cleo Stiller, award-winning journalist and author of, Modern Manhood: Conversations About The Complicated World of Being a Good Man Today, joins us to talk about…. you guessed it: Modern Manhood.
“A lot of what we were taught growing up about what it means to be a good man, or a good woman for that matter, is changing.” ~ Cleo Stiller
Cleo shares what prompted her to write this book, offers many stories from it and discusses #MeToo, the most common questions from men, the history of the workplace, dating, and equality. We all need to get comfortable being uncomfortable.
Topics and Questions Include:
- (1:42) What first got you interested in writing about men and masculinity?
- (5:48) What Andy appreciated about the book, Modern Manhood.
- (7:08) What sort of flack have you gotten for being a woman writing about men?
- (9:05) Would a man be welcome at a #MeToo support event?
- (11:02) The subtitle of your book is: Conversations About The Complicated World of Being A Good Man Today — does that mean it is easier to be a “bad man?”
- (14:38) One man’s story from the work chapter.
- (18:52) A common thing I’ve heard from many men is that they no longer know how to act in the post #MeToo world. Is there a right way?
- (25:01) Resistance to change, and the man box.
- (29:56) People thinking #MeToo has gone too far.
- (31:46) Businessmen intentionally hiring fewer women due to #MeToo risks.
- (34:03) History of the workplace.
- (35:04) Having to watch everything you say.
- (39:58) The research and history that went into the book.
- (41:35) One great point you make is that neither men nor women are encouraged to ask, to check-in or verbalize when it comes to anything of an intimate nature.
- (44:56) Do guys still pay for dates?
- (47:00) What do you see as the ultimate goal of the #MeToo movement?
- (50:22) The goal of this book.
- (52:12) Has #MeToo crossed the line to become all about retribution?
- (54:40) What does gender equality look like to you?
Watch Real Men Feel, #160, Talking Modern Manhood, December 3, 2019
“The things that were okay, really were never okay. This has been bubbling under the surface for women for decades.” ~ Cleo Stiller
Check out Cleo’s book, Modern Manhood: Conversations About the Complicated World of Being a Good Man Today
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to [email protected].
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Like the Real Men Feel show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Scroll down to the author bio for all the links to access more #RealMenFeel
A version of this post was previously published on RealMenFeel.org and is republished here with permission from the author.
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project and want to join our calls on a regular basis, please join us as a Premium Member, today.
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
A $50 annual membership gives you an all-access pass. You can be a part of every call, group, class, and community.
A $25 annual membership gives you access to one class, one Social Interest group, and our online communities.
A $12 annual membership gives you access to our Friday calls with the publisher, our online community.
Register New Account
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.