Is work-life balance an unattainable myth? Most of us have tried everything to evenly distribute our time and energy across work, life, and family. Many of us may have also discovered that this is one of the most difficult things to achieve. It almost seems impossible. But it’s not.
Today’s guest is James Sudakow. He is the father of four kids and the author of Out of the Blur: A Delirious Dad’s Search for the Holy Grail of Work-Life Balance. He used to suffer from superhero syndrome, trying to be everything to everyone all the time. Eventually, he realized that he wasn’t showing up in the way that he wanted to at home or at work and came up with his own plan to analyze his behavior and change his ways.
In this episode, James Sudakow talks about the superhero syndrome and outlines the common traps we fall into when it comes to prioritizing our to do list. He gives practical solutions for breaking common habits that suck our time and energy and shows us that a sane, productive, fulfilling life is not as mysterious as we think. Behold, the holy grail of work life balance!
James Sudakow serves as the principal of CH Consulting, Inc., a boutique management and organizational effectiveness consulting practice he founded in 2010. He specializes in helping companies manage organizational transformation, create talent management strategies and programs that maximize employee capabilities and improve business performance. Sudakow is a contributing columnist to Inc.com, and has been featured in The Chicago Tribune, Forbes.com, Fast Company online, Mic., The Business Journals, LifeHacker, Bustle, SiriusXM, Psychology Today and more. Before starting his own consultancy, Sudakow held leadership roles in several global multibillion-dollar organizations across the technology and health care industries. He and his wife are raising four kids, along with one dog, one rabbit and 7 chickens in San Diego, Calif. For more information, visit www.jamessudakow.com.
What You’ll Learn
- What inspired James Sudakow to write Out of the Blur: A Delirious Dad’s Search for the Holy Grail of Work-Life Balance
- How to tell if you’re suffering from superhero syndrome
- Why the notion that you can do everything is debilitating
- The 3 main traps that make work-life balance impossible
- Artificial urgency
- Undefined boundaries
- How to analyze your average to-do list and practice ruthless prioritization
- How to prevent from taking on someone else’s urgency
- How we manufacture our own stress
- How to get out of constant triage mode (where everything is an emergency)
- How modern accessibility is making it more difficult for us to set boundaries between work and home life
- The multi-tasking fallacy that is destroying your productivity
- Why thinking about the next thing on your to do list is robbing you of the present moment
- How to set urgency filters
- How to compartmentalize your tasks
- Work-life balance will not happen overnight. It took James Sudakow 6-9 months to break the habits that were cluttering his life
- How to continuously monitor your behavior to not revert back to you old SOP
- How to enlist your spouse to help keep you in check
- Identifying mission critical tasks
- Can the work-life blend lifestyle work?
- How to be more present in both work and life by setting boundaries on both
James Sudakow’s Links
Originally published on The Good Dad Project
Photo courtesy of author