A twist on the quesadilla, perfect for kids’ snacks, quick meals, and midnight munchies.
Summer’s screamin’ to an end. For parents with school-aged kids that means school’s either started or about to start. Here’s a quick and easy tortilla pizza my then-ten year-old daughter taught me years ago that kids can make on their own safely for either a snack, lunch or dinner.
Preparation Time: 1 minute
Cooking Time: about 45 seconds
1 Tortilla (I’m using a whole wheat tortilla, but any tortilla will work)
Favorite Tomato Sauce
Grated (or sliced) Mozzarella Cheese
Favorite Pizza Topping (I’m using pepperoni)
Microwave Oven Safe Plate
Potholder or Folded Dishtowel (not really necessary because plate won’t get that hot)
1. Use a tablespoon to spread a thin and even layer of tomato sauce over the entire tortilla.
2. Cover the sauce with grated cheese and either leave it as is or top half the cheese with your favorite pizza topping (I’m using pepperoni).
3. Quickly and carefully fold the tortilla in half.
4. Put the tortilla pizza in the middle of the microwave oven, and cook using HIGH heat or 100% power for 45 seconds. NOTE: Cooking time may vary depending on microwave watt power. The tortilla pizza shown here was cooked in a 1200-watt microwave oven for 45 seconds.
5. Use a pot holder or folded dishtowel, if needed, to remove the cooked tortilla pizza from the microwave oven. The tortilla pizza is done when the cheese has melted.
6. Use a table knife to cut the tortilla pizza into 2-4 pieces as shown here and serve warm.