You are planning to start a business. Carefully plan everything — think over the scope of activities, type of services/products, write a business plan, look for suppliers and the target audience, create a website, fill it with content and so forth.
An important part of the new company is the development of its name, logo, corporate identity. It is more or less clear why your need company name and corporate identity, however not everyone understands why your business needs a logo. Besides, most people often consider it absolutely unnecessary attribute. And that’s the biggest mistake.
What is a logo and what types of logos exist?
Logo — a brand name that various organizations, companies, enterprises use to promote brand recognition among consumers. In other words, a logo is a graphic design associated with a particular brand. Images, icons, letters and/or words are used to create it.
This compact visual image is designed to increase brand popularity among consumers, helps to boost its recognition and it is an effective tool in the development of advertising campaigns. Conventionally, all logos are divided into three types — graphic, font, combined.
One American journalist — Hilda Morones — conducted a study of existing logos and offered another classification, which involves 7 different types.
- Signs and symbols. The creation of such logos involves the use of symbols, pictogram, icons created with the help of graphic design. They are suitable for large companies.
- Abstract. The basis of these logos are the silhouettes of abstract figures, forming a certain image that should convey to the user the main idea of the brand. It’s the best option for companies seeking to sell their product in multiple regions.
- Mascot. Its main aim is to embody a certain image as the “Ambassador” of the brand. And this image will tell about your product/service. They always cause positive emotions being good-natured and big-hearted, sometimes it’s cartoon characters. Such logos are suitable for companies that offer products and services for families, children and so on.
- Abbreviations. Such logos are the optimal solution for companies with a long name. Remember the image of three or four letters is easier than a long and complex name of the company.
- Words (trademark). This type is suitable for companies with a short and succinct name. When creating pay special attention to typography.
- Text-graphic — a combination of images with letters and/or words. The universal option, which is preferred by a large number of companies.
- Emblem. This logo is created on the principle of tokens, seals, coats of arms, when words and letters are inside the symbol or icon.
No matter what type of logo you choose, you should remember that all of them should meet three important criteria:
- to attract attention;
- easy to remember;
- reflect the essence of the company.
Why invest in a logo?
The logo is not just a nice picture, but a way to stand out among competitors, to become recognizable among customers. This is its main task. All elements of the logo — slogan, color, design, work to attract the attention of potential customers.
The logo is the first thing that meets the visitor of your site. The acquaintance with your company begins with the logo. In addition, a quality logo will help:
- win the trust of customers;
- brand promotion in the Internet environment, offline sphere;
- make products unusual, different from similar ones offered by competitors;
- stand out from competitors;
- increase brand awareness.
Therefore, you should create it using any of the ways:
- on your own with the help of online designers, graphics programs;
- order from a design Agency;
- hire freelance designers.
The first option is more affordable from the financial side, the second — will require significant investment. However, all your efforts and funds invested in the logo creation will be fulfilled by the increase of customers flow, company recognition and so on.
What things to look out when creating a logo on your own?
Before you start developing a logo you should:
- in 1-2 sentences describe your company;
- determine what long-term goals are, what is the value of your services, who is your target audience;
- pick up a few keywords that accurately describe your business;
- establish what qualities it should convey.
Then you need to analyze competitors, identifying what tidbit they use and why its use is successful. Next step is brainstorming. It helps find out ideas for your logo. It is necessary to transfer all thoughts on paper, to sketch the images, to fix the associations appearing when viewing your products/services.
When generating ideas, remember that the logo should be:
- Simple, do not need to use complex drawings, intricate signs. You are not creating a masterpiece of fine art. Therefore, you need the most simple and memorable graphic sign. Remember, the simpler the better!
- Universal. This implies that the logo should be adaptable. So that it can be applied in all areas — the packaging, documents, different devices (PCs, smartphones).
- Memorable. Give preference to a simple logo design that is easy to perceive visually.
- Up-and-coming. The logo should remain relevant at least for several years.
- Appropriate. Choose colors, fonts, icons, corresponding to the style and color scheme in your field of activity.
With these criteria, you can create logo independently using graphic editors, such as Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator. But under the condition that you have special knowledge on how to work with these programs and enough free time.
A simpler but no less effective way is to create a logo using online generators. For Example, Logaster. In order to use the functionality of this platform, you do not need to possess special design skills, you only need to do a few manipulations:
- go to the website;
- enter your company name;
- click “Create logo”
- choose the logo variant that suits your needs.
As you can see everything is quite simple, you just need to think over fonts and the color scheme. As these elements play a big role in creating a professional logo. If you need to edit the logo created in Logaster, click on the “View and download” button located next to the logo, and then click on “Edit”.
Other online logo makers work on a similar principle. You can get a simple small-sized logo absolutely for free. If you need a high-resolution logo or, for example, business cards, you can use paid service packages.
Remember, after creating a logo you need to “try it out”. For example, you can send it to your friends and they express their opinion – good it or not. After a couple of days, you can also ask them to sketch his silhouette. If they succeed, then the logo is easy to remember.
And finally, before launching the logo into work, make sure that it does not have complex details, meets all the parameters of a quality logo, looks great in black and white version.
This content is sponsored by Anna Kuznetsova.
Photos provided by author.