Editor’s note: A week ago, Warren Sandefur saw a list by Tom Ford of “15 Things Every Man Must Have” and was angered by it. Tom’s list includes a lot of pretentious items in his opinion. So he wrote a list of his own. He recruited a couple of friends, Lauren Hale and Jess Howard, to help and together they came up with the following list to counter Tom’s list.
Here is their list:
What Every Man Should Have:
1. A handkerchief you carry.
2. A quality flashlight.
3. A pocket knife.
4. A set of jumper cables.
5. A functional toolbox filled with the necessities including duct tape.
6. A rifle, a shotgun, and a pistol with which you are intimately familiar.
7. A working knowledge of compasses, maps and topography.
8. Rope and a tarp, because someday you might need them.
9. Books on your nightstand.
10. A hobby. A real hobby. Something which energizes you and makes your heart race. Your hobby should add to your life and give you character. Oh, and be able to school anyone about your hobby without using the internet.
11. Honor and Respect. Honor your word. Respect those who deserve it.
12. A family. Make it one that is eager for and deserving of you.*
13. A sense of direction. You know that little voice you choose to ignore? Stop ignoring it.
14. Scars. Tattoos aren’t scars. Scars are your personal reminder of where you’ve been, what you’ve done, and what you’ve learned.**
15. Progeny. You’ve lived life. Pass it on.
16. Faith. Be it a faith in God or something else, cling to it fiercely. Focus on life and remain reliant on this faith. Know what you believe and why you believe it.
17. The ability to know when to laugh, particularly at yourself. Life is not always about being serious. Life won’t take you seriously so don’t give it the satisfaction.
*”Family” does not necessarily indicate blood relation.
**All scars are not physical.
What do you think? What are the things every man must have?
Photo: Flickr/Charles Williams