Tom Matlack cuts through the political rhetoric to identify what’s important to him.
What’s on your list?
1. Commit to serving for a single 4-year term.
2. Make the development of American human capital your first priority
3. Focus on equality of opportunity for all our citizens rather than equality of results, taking careful account of when race, gender, ethnicity and other factors show up in results that show categorical disadvantage in opportunity and lack of class mobility.
4. Overhaul education system top to bottom, pre-K through graduate school making access to educational excellence a human right in the U.S.
5. Create national physical education program, led by pro sports leagues, to combat epidemic of obesity, setting national goals by age group for fitness and body fat.
6. Create national mentor program whereby every boy is matched with an adult male who encourages the development of character.
7. Include inmates in the revamped education system, reserving prison for violent offenders and focusing on rehabilitating those who have fallen through cracks rather than giving up on them.
8. Make 2 years national service in Teach-for-America, Peace Corp, or a newly created infrastructure work program.
9. Require recipients of unemployment benefits to volunteer their time in schools, hospitals and prisons.
10. Force all private educational institutions to spend 20% of their endowments on programs that impact the population most in need of educational help.
11. Transition Social Security to a defined contribution rather than defined benefit plan.
12. Massively simplify the tax code, removing deductions, shrinking the IRS and making code fair and truly progressive by income level (eliminate cap gains and carve out for money funds who can characters profits as cap gains).
13. Cut government spending by 50% for all programs that doesn’t directly involve the development of human capital.
14. Create a fair path for illegal immigrants to earn full status as Americans.
15. Make reproductive rights a personal rather than political choice.
16. Refuse to take corporations contributions, either directly or indirectly, no matter what the Supreme Court says. Outlaw lobbying.
17. Mandate generous and equal paternity and maternity leave across the board to give our youngsters a chance and to underscore the importance of parenting in building our human capital.
18. Mandate gender equality on corporate boards and in government leadership.
19. Develop comprehensive plans to reduce emissions, increase fuel economy of our vehicles, develop alternative energy sources, and protect our natural environment in all forms.
20. Partner with the Gate Foundation to encourage the other 1%’ers to participate in aggressive philanthropy that changes the face of the country and the world for the better by providing incremental government funding to highest priority projects supported by private donors.
21. Legalize and regulate sale of drugs and sex.
22. Create task force to come up with a plan to deal with the over 500,000 returning veterans who are struggling with PTSD, brain injury or other battle related injury.
23. Make sexual preference a human right.
24. Define specific measurable goals for the health of our people, economy and environment and report against them each week, month and quarter. Bag the weekly radio rhetoric and replace with this government scorecard.
25. Move country to 6-year single term Presidency elected by popular vote.