Are you too picky in dating? Maybe you’re not picky enough…
A few years ago, a 30-year-old woman came to see me for coaching. “I’ve been on 200 dates. My family tells me I’m too picky in dating. I want to get married, but I can’t seem to find the right guy. Do you think I’m being too picky?”
And get this—she was about to board a bus and travel four hours to meet a man in Baltimore for a third date, a guy with whom she felt very little connection and zero attraction!
“Why are you getting on that bus?” I said. “You’re not interested in this man.
He bores you. You’re not attracted to him. Why waste your precious time and money on a guy with no potential?”
“I’m not sure what to do,” she said. “That’s why I’m here to see you. I want to make sure I’m not being too picky.”
“I honestly don’t think you’re picky enough. Let’s discuss how to know if you’re too picky or not picky enough in dating,” I said. “And why don’t you go ahead and cancel that trip to Baltimore?”
4 Signs You’re Not Picky Enough
- You’re dating every person who contacts you online
- You’re dating every person you’re set up with before vetting them
- You’re dating every person who is attractive to you
- You go on second and third dates with people who don’t have any of your must-haves
4 Signs You’re Too Picky
- You only date people who are your ‘type’
- You’re looking for instant chemistry and won’t date someone a second time if you don’t feel immediate attraction
- You only date people with advanced degrees
- You only date people who earn seven figures
Look beyond the externals and your ‘type’ (how’s that working for you?), and focus on the heart and soul of a potential partner.
Appreciate your date for who he or she has become, for the inner work they’ve done to improve their lives. Don’t judge them based on who they were in their last relationship.
Be picky about finding a partner who makes you feel safe, cherished, heard, and seen. Not someone who makes you feel nervous, insecure, and ignored.
A partner with a steel core of integrity is more important than one with a Ph.D. or a million dollars salary.
Be picky about what lies beneath the surface. Find out why your date chose their profession and what they love about the work they do.
Discover what they’re passionate about and what makes them come alive. What type of music and art moves them, and which of their travels made a lasting impression.
Get picky about shared values by discovering a person’s ‘whys’. For example, ask your date about their favorite trip and why they loved it. “I loved traveling to Spain, because the colors are so vibrant, the art is magnificent, and the food is so tasty.” Doesn’t that tell you so much more than, “I love to travel”, which is what most people would say on a first date?
Discover if you are compatible physically, spiritually, and emotionally, and you’ll spend less time with the wrong people. Get picky about the right stuff, and you’ll be on the path to meeting your best match.
What questions do you get picky about asking on a date to discover if you’re a good match? Please share in the comments below.
What Now? Participate. Take Action. Join The Good Men Project Community.
The $50 Platinum Level is an ALL-ACCESS PASS—join as many groups and classes as you want for the entire year. The $25 Gold Level gives you access to any ONE Social Interest Group and ONE Class–and other benefits listed below the form. Or…for $12, join as a Bronze Member and support our mission. All members see the site AD-FREE!
Register New Account
Your ANNUAL PLATINUM membership includes:
1. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to participate in ANY of our new Social Interest Groups. We have active communities of like-minded individuals working to change the world on important issues. Weekly facilitated calls that lead to the execution of real-world strategies for change. Complete schedule here, with new ones starting all the time. We now offer 500 calls a year!
2. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to ALL LIVE CLASSES. Learn how to build your own platform, be a better writer, become an editor, or create social change. Check out our training sessions. As a Platinum member, you can take them all.
3. Invitation to the MEMBERS ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook. Connect with other members, network and help us lead this conversation.
4. Access to our PREMIUM MEMBER LIBRARY with our recorded ConvoCasts and classes. ConvoCasts are a new form of media—and you are in them! Only Platinum Members get access to our recordings. And recordings of our classes are really valuable for those who do not have time to take the live classes or just want to review.
5. An ad-free experience. No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you log in.
6. Weekly conference calls with the publisher and other community members. Our weekly calls discuss the issues we see happening in the world of men in a friendly group setting.
7. PLATINUM member commenting badge. Only members can comment!
Price for ANNUAL PLATINUM membership is $50/year.
Your ANNUAL GOLD membership will include:
1. Free access to any ONE Social Interest Groups.Try them out! We have active communities of like-minded individuals working to change the world on important issues. Weekly facilitated calls that lead to the execution of real-world strategies for change. Complete schedule here, with new ones starting all the time.
2. Free access to any ONE of our live classes. Each month, we have the following: Learn how to be a Rising Star in media, build your own platform, become an advanced writer, become an editor or create social change. Check out our classes here. RSVP for any one class—if you want to take more, just upgrade to an Annual Platinum Membership.
3. Invitation to the MEMBER-ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook and all Weekly Friday Conference calls with the Publisher and community. Connect with other members online and by phone!
4. An ad-free experience. No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you are logged in.
5. GOLD commenting badge. Only members can comment on the website!
Price for ANNUAL GOLD membership is $25/year.
Your ANNUAL BRONZE membership will include:
1. Invitation to weekly conference calls with the publisher and community. Connect with other members, network and help us lead this conversation.
2. An ad-free experience. No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you are logged in.
3. BRONZE member commenting badge. Only members can comment on the website!
Price for ANNUAL BRONZE membership is $12/year.
We have pioneered the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. Your support of our work is inspiring and invaluable.
“Here’s the thing about The Good Men Project. We are trying to create big, sweeping, societal changes—–overturn stereotypes, eliminate racism, sexism, homophobia, be a positive force for good for things like education reform and the environment. And we’re also giving individuals the tools they need to make individual change—-with their own relationships, with the way they parent, with their ability to be more conscious, more mindful, and more insightful. For some people, that could get overwhelming. But for those of us here at The Good Men Project, it is not overwhelming. It is simply something we do—–every day. We do it with teamwork, with compassion, with an understanding of systems and how they work, and with shared insights from a diversity of viewpoints.” —– Lisa Hickey, Publisher of The Good Men Project and CEO of Good Men Media Inc.
Photo: Flickr/Guian Bolisay