“The biggest problem is the fitness industry doesn’t understand science.”
Listen to Real Men Feel, #203, “Is Weight Lifting a Waste of Time?” here:
Scientist, inventor, and author of “Weight Lifting Is a Waste of Time: So Is Cardio, and There’s a Better Way to Have the Body You Want,” Dr. John Jaquish visits to discuss his book, the science of variable resistance training, and the X3 Bar.
“Cardio is the worst approach to losing body fat.” ~ Dr. John Jaquish
Dr. Jaquish has been called the Tony Stark of fitness, and you’ll understand why listening to this episode. His book summarizes 250 studies and makes the scientific information actionable. But he warns, “oversimplification is another word for wrong.”
John doesn’t think highly of the fitness industry and does not hold back. He has a tremendous amount of data and experience showing that traditional weight lifting is a horrible approach to getting healthy, muscular, and lean. While cardio actually works against anyone trying to lose body fat. Studying variable resistance training has shown him that people are 7x stronger than they think they are.
Andy bought the X3 Bar in January, and once COVID hit, he was so glad he had it. He shares his results and what makes him call it “the best piece of fitness equipment I’ve ever owned.”
Grab the Real Men Feel Guide to Friendship for a list of places you can meet more male friends and get on the Real Men Feel weekly newsletter.
If you are interested in the X3 Bar, join the X3 Bar User Group on Facebook to see lots of real people’s reports and find a $50 discount code. I discovered this only after I bought mine.
Topics and Questions Include:
- (2:29) Your book title is a very bold claim and sounds like things promoted on late night tv that don’t hold up — how is your system different?
- (4:57) Tell me about your first invention, OsteoStrong.
- (5:31) You say, “Fitness may be the most failed human endeavor.” How was science been so wrong?
- (11:29) What’s the difference between weight lifting and resistance training?
- (17:42) Before telling everyone weight lifting is a waste of time, Dr. John had to build the demonstration first. That was the X3 Bar.
- (21:36) The challenge for most scientists.
- (23:55) Andy’s first reaction to the X3. “Rubber bands? This can’t work.”
- (29:24) Has the device changed over the years?
- (29:59) Andy’s experience with the X3.
- (33:34) Truly 10 minutes or less for a complete workout.
- (35:11) How strength training improves your heart better than traditional cardio workouts.
- (38:11) Did you build your body up traditionally and then switch to the X3?
- (39:54) Is the attack on you and attachment to steel over using rubber bands an aspect of the male ego?
- (42:24) Everything you’ve done is disruptive and pissed people off. Has that been your intention?
- (43:29) You can be right, or you can be happy.
- (50:57) Science is never settled on an issue.
- (52:50) Is it challenging to get professional athletes to use the X3 Bar?
- (59:56) For the skeptics, read the book.
- (1:02:38) Do you have plans on what you’ll disrupt next?
Watch Real Men Feel, #203, Is Weight Lifting a Waste of Time?, September 15, 2020
“The big-box gyms, these places are just nightclubs with treadmills.” ~ Dr. John Jaquish
Check out the book: Weight Lifting Is a Waste of Time: So Is Cardio, and There’s a Better Way to Have the Body You Want. Other books mentioned in this episode, Carnivore Diet and Carnivore Code.
Need to talk about getting out of your own way? Visit TheAndyGrant.com/talk.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to [email protected].
Scroll down to the author bio for all the links to access more #RealMenFeel
This post was previously published on RealMenFeel.org.
Improve your writing, expand your reach, and monetize your craft.
We welcome all experience levels.