Promises we can—and should—make to all US Veterans on Memorial Day 2019
10. We promise you will never have to wait in line for medical care. You put your body on the line for this country and your body should be a priority for this country. Service like yours takes a lot out of someone. That is our responsibility, as a grateful country.
9. We promise you will never have to sleep in the street. America is your home and you fought for it. You should be able to spend the rest of your life at home.
8. We promise you will never be deported. America is your home and you fought for it. You should be able to spend the rest of your life at home.
7. We promise to be vigilant in ensuring that you always have the oversight needed to make good decisions, to never be allowed to fall into cruelty for cruelty’s sake, to allow power to corrupt. And when you blow the whistle on corruption and misuse of power above you, we promise to be vigilant in protecting you from harm.
6. We promise to fight tooth and nail to ensure that rape and violence against children are never tools that are accepted in warfare, demeaning and insulting the name of the soldiers that fight for freedom and their home. We promise to pursue those people—and the people who spur them on—as war criminals, making it clear they are no soldiers.
5. We promise to exhaust all peaceful methods of solving problems before calling on you to risk your lives, your families, your welfare to ask you to walk into hell. We promise to be honest and straight with you when asking you to fight and die for the country you love. You should never have to wonder if you are on the right side of any conflict.
4. We promise that no American soldier will have to hide or be ashamed of who they are when fighting for the country they love–no matter what, and that LGBTQ soldiers as well as straight ones, male, female, black, and white, will have the opportunity to do right by their uniforms.
3. We promise The US will, one day soon, recognize that every bomb dropped is theft from people in poverty, people starving, people who need help to live. And the lesson of your sacrifice will be front and center, serving us again.
2. We promise The US will, with vigilance, make the kind of good decisions that will make an American abroad, no matter what the service, into someone who is respected and beloved, safe from attack, and welcome anywhere.
1. One day soon, the US will be at peace. This nation that has been at war 222 out of 239 years will sit down and start to serve its people in peace, having learned the lessons of your sacrifice.
What’s Next? Talk with others. Take action.
We are proud of our SOCIAL INTEREST GROUPS—WEEKLY PHONE CALLS to discuss, gain insights, build communities— and help solve some of the most difficult challenges the world has today. Calls are for Members Only (although you can join the first call for free). Not yet a member of The Good Men Project? Join below!
Join the Conscious Intersectionality FACEBOOK GROUP here. Includes our new call series on Human Rights.
Join The Good Men Project Community
All levels get to view The Good Men Project site AD-FREE. The $50 Platinum Level is an ALL-ACCESS PASS—join as many groups and classes as you want for the entire year. The $25 Gold Level gives you access to any ONE Social Interest Group and ONE Class–and other benefits listed below the form. Or…for $12, join as a Bronze Member and support our mission, and have a great ad-free viewing experience.
Register New Account
Please note: If you are already a writer/contributor at The Good Men Project, log in here before registering. (Request a new password if needed).
ANNUAL PLATINUM membership ($50 per year) includes:
1. AN ALL ACCESS PASS — Join ANY and ALL of our weekly calls, Social Interest Groups, classes, workshops, and private Facebook groups. We have at least one group phone call or online class every day of the week.
2. See the website with no ads when logged in!
3. MEMBER commenting badge.
ANNUAL GOLD membership ($25 per year) includes all the benefits above — but only ONE Weekly Social Interest Group and ONE class.
ANNUAL BRONZE membership ($12 per year) is great if you are not ready to join the full conversation but want to support our mission anyway. You’ll still get a BRONZE commenting badge, and you can pop into any of our weekly Friday Calls with the Publisher when you have time. This is for people who believe—like we do—that this conversation about men and changing roles and goodness in the 21st century is one of the most important conversations you can have today.
We have pioneered the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. Your support of our work is inspiring and invaluable.
Photo credit: Shutterstock