“What playoff game?” asks Steve Jaeger.
1) Babe Ruth
2) 4 weeks till spring training!
3) I still won’t have to go to Buffalo
4) Ben’s Chili Bowl
5) Diamond sound so much nicer than gridiron
6) You won’t have to watch your childhood heroes like the Rolling Stones sell out at a cheesy half time show
7) People in the stands not screaming “Kill him, kill him!” (except in Philly)
8) There’s always at least one guy willing to put on a sixty pound chicken suit and run around the ball park in ninety degree weather.
9) Willie Mays
10) You can make a grown man tear up with the words Ebbets Field
11) You can’t play toss and fetch with your dog and a football
12) A team can go one hundred years, not win a championship and still look back on it’s glory years.
13) Ted Williams
14) An actual Broadway musical about the Washington Senators
15) Minor League games are a blast
16) Peanuts and Crackerjacks
17) The high hard one
18) Satchel Paige
19) You can have four balls and still walk
20) You get to hear John Fogarty sing Center Field almost every day
21) If you’re in the back seat of a car with a girl and you get to third base that’s really good but if you get a third down I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.
22) Susan Sarandon was in an iconic baseball movie
23) Ronald Reagan was in an iconic football movie
24) Bob Uecker
25) You can sit in the stands in Cleveland at a baseball game and be happy for a few hours.
photo: baseballcollection /flickr