Shopping for faucets together is not sexy.
Karel and I were recently cleaning the bathroom together, and while I was scooping cat litter and she was scrubbing the toilet, it occurred to me that this was one of the least-sexy moments in our 11-year relationship. Still, we were working together to beat back the squalor, and teamwork is romantic even if it’s not sexy. Marriage isn’t a nonstop parade of hearts and flowers moments, but there are definitely some moments that stand out as even less romantic than usual in every relationship. Here are my 10; feel free to share yours in the comments.
10. Anything involving Walmart or Target. There is no romance among those heavily discounted aisles.
9. Accidentally going to see Lars Von Trier’s Nymphomaniac Part 1 thinking it’s going to be a turn-on.
8. Eating at a Pizza Hut/Taco Bell Express.
7. Cleaning out your distant great aunt Ella’s basement after she passes away because she had no other family. It gets less romantic every time your husband makes a “Ella was not enchanted” joke.
6. Going to the H&R Block at the crusty strip mall to get your taxes done because they are too complicated for EZTax.
5. Driving your husband to and from the doctor for his colonoscopy. Pretending not to see him cry on the way home is the worst.
4. Going shopping for faucets together.
3. Attending parent-teacher conferences.
2. Taking the dog to the vet to figure out where that overpowering new smell is coming from and how to make it stop.
1. Powdering the dog’s vulva, which is the source of the overpowering smell.
This article originally appeared on Redbook Mag.
Photo credit: Lorena Cupcake/flickr