- The moments in and around the game that are bigger than the game itself.
- The speeches to teammates and fans that are larger even than the game itself.
- The moments when sports is used as a platform for bigger social conversations.
- The thrilling moments from your childhood that you never forget.
- The tender moments among teammates.
It’s why we watch. It’s why we play. It’s the stuff that rises up out of sports and settles down into us.
This week’s Heart of Sports comes from the TB Rays’ Tommy Pham. After homering to lead the Rays to a surprise Game 4 ALDS victory over Justin Verlander and the Astros, he gave a very candid and comfortable-in-his-own-skin answer about growing up without a father and teaching himself the game:
‘I am proud of myself’
Without a dad in the picture growing up, Tommy Pham looks to himself for getting him to where he is today 💪 pic.twitter.com/e2xIt7tsG3
— ESPN (@espn) October 9, 2019
We’re proud of you too, Tommy!
Photo Credit: Twitter/@ESPN (screen cap)