Ninya Walters knows her time is limited but she has a few things to teach her son before he becomes a man.
My Boy. I love him to pieces, from the first moment I laid eyes on the cleft in his chin, HE HAD ME. He makes me laugh, he cheers me up, he makes mistakes. We all do, right? The time it goes so fast. Almost 12 years have passed in a blink and I am seeing now more than ever, that my time with him, to teach him the things I want him to know is so limited. Soon enough, he will pull away from me and friends will become more important, he will begin to show symptoms of Know It All Syndrome. But I know this will be temporary, and eventually he will understand and come to appreciate why we raised him the way we did.
So what do I want to teach him in the short 6 years I have left?
- Respect yourself, women and other men.
- Work hard.
- Find something you are passionate about and make it your career.
- It’s ok to feel your feelings and show them in constructive ways.
- Be a friend.
- Have Integrity.
- Stand up for those who can’t stand for themselves.
- Everyone is valuable.
- Try not to judge yourself or others.
- Be Grateful.
- Cleaning up after yourself is an important life skill.
- Learn to cook real food with real ingredients. Chemicals will kill you.
- Use things not people.
- Worrying steals more joy from your life than anything else ever will.
- Money is only a tool that gives you freedom.
- Loyalty and honesty are honorable and important.
- You can choose to be HAPPY. Every. Single. Day.
- Video games are fun, they serve their purpose, but don’t let electronics control your life.
- Be Productive and Creative.
- Listen to your heart in all things. It knows if something is good for you or not.
No matter what you do, no matter what mistakes you make, I will always love you. I may not understand your choices, but they are yours to make. This is your one life that YOU get to live.
Originally appeared at Photoshop for Moms