Sometimes the moments that make you cry are also the moments that matter the most.
Originally appeared at BuzzFeed.com
1. Eight-year-old Christian Golczynski accepts the flag for his father, Marine Staff Sgt. Marc Golczynski, during a memorial service.
Marc Golczynski was shot on patrol during his second tour in Iraq just a few weeks before he was due to return home.
2. Homeless and impoverished children living in New Delhi, India, receive a free education from two volunteer teachers.
3. A man looking back on the times he spent with his wife on this bench.
4. A woman whose husband passed away still has lunch with him every day.
5. An NYPD police officer gives a homeless man a new pair of shoes.
6. Two brothers’ dreams come true.
7. A German soldier solemnly celebrates his 34th birthday on the plains of Afghanistan.
8. Specialist Dean Oldt, a marksman with the 101st Airborne, is reunited with his father.
9. A soldier meets his baby for the first time.
9. Irish rugby player Brian O’Driscoll shares his Heineken Cup victory with his biggest fans at a children’s hospital.
10. An arthritic 19-year-old dog named Schoep is cradled by his owner, John, in the waters of Lake Superior, where the buoyancy eases the dog’s pain, allowing him to fall asleep comfortably in his owner’s arms.
Shortly after this photo started to spread online, people everywhere began donating money, allowing John to pay for the surgery and medication Shoep needed to live more comfortably. John used the remaining money to start a foundation to help other pets in pain.
For more amazing photos in this series, visit BuzzFeed.com