Mothers first house us in their womb and from there starts a strong bond; a lifelong journey of love and trust. They inspire us, they are our first teacher and we owe our gratitude to them.
But I have a different story; my mother gifted me a second life in the same birth.
Yes! Sometimes for no reasons; conspiring minds try to silence a kid by stealing their breath. It happened with me, some relatives (no mention, as they have made their final journey, hell or heaven) tried the same but due to my mother’s strong intuitive nature and presence of mind, here I’m alive safe and sound and creating a niche for myself amidst writers. But if she would not have acted wise and brave, the gray thoughts would have cast its spell on a six-year-old, for some reasons unknown to us, yet.
Here I share 10 life lessons that I inherited from my mother, an intuitive and strong willed lady with soft attributes, for which words fall less.
(1) Be your identity. My mom says that anytime in life anybody could leave, might be by choice or due to circumstantial reasons, but an identity will never leave you. She says that she would love to be identified with my identity which I create for myself. Hence journey began!
(2) Treasure your independence. A woman needs mans to complement but not to be dependent on him. You don’t need a man to take care of you; you could do it for yourself and fair well. She always taught me to be my own happiness and in a process helped me lower my dependencies on others.
(3) The essence of unconditional love. Every one of you sees your moms making sacrifices with time, health and what not; without any complain and even not letting out a single sigh. Even my mom shared the same attribute, she always has a smile while giving away her happiness for me. She taught me to be selfless. The fact is no love could ever be higher than mother’s love.
(4) Self-love is important. We know how to walk away from things not meant for us, but I learned from my mom how to keep going even when the entire world is against me. She taught that I must not be defined by grief but the way I bounce back in life and how hard I fight for the life I want.
(5) To be both strong and soft is an art. Strong mothers are actually very sensitive, but they just hide their emotions very well. They silently cry over your pain, spend awake because certain things were troubling you. Her warm hug says all about her unmatched compassion and tenderness. In the process of being what she is, my mom taught me to be an amalgam of contraries, be both soft and strong.
(6) Never look back. It’s common tendency to look back and wonder why life turned upside down. She always taught me to look forward and let the past redeem itself.
(7) Patience and belief. Storms will subside and tomorrow is a new day. You learn to be patient with life, the timings, the way towards success and the same way deal with problems.
(8) Be your own happiness. One can find happiness in a difficult life as well! One could be happy even if carrying the weight of the world on shoulders. My mom taught me to keep smiling while facing the storm of life, even a storm is not forever.
(9) Face criticisms positively. Mostly we don’t like people finding flaws in us. Well every time they are not wrong and my mom always says me to face criticism positively. She says critics are an outward source of motivation and it does wonders if their words meet our desire to evolve.
(10) To be a good mother. Being raised by a mom who showed you how to take care of a family, taught how hard work pays off, who taught the values of unconditional love, in the process, she nurtured me to become a good mommy. She taught me to be affectionate, protective, kind, compassionate, strong and resilient. She has set an example, and many at times whether knowingly or not, I follow her footsteps, though one step at a time.
Like every child; every mom is unique. We love our moms, but understanding her is different and more difficult as well. Often we forget that she’s a human, made of flesh and blood like us with emotions and dreams. Empathize her feelings and try conferring helping hands towards them. She won’t utter a word of anguish, you need to fathom that. Hug your mom, inquire about her day; how it went and watch how her eyes glitter.
Mothers heal us and care for us, but when kids are wonderful and compassionate towards them, it’s a blessing in return.
Often people try to place or mold the roles of moms in their own expectations; that happens in ignorance, but loving them for what they are or how they are is our utmost way of expressing our gratitude towards our mother. In that way, we can transform every day into Mother’s Day.
Photo: Getty Images