Josh Bowman gives some tips for all you gym rats. Etiquette, people. Etiquette.
- Don’t give other people unsolicited advice on working out. They might have a reason for exercising the way they do.
- Don’t just walk on the treadmills…break a sweat. If you are able to talk on your cell phone, you aren’t working hard enough. If you are talking on your cell phone…stop talking on your cell phone.
- Don’t bang your weights if you can avoid it. Put your weights away. To quote a personal trainer I used to know: “boys need to put away their toys.”
- Wipe everything down. It’s gross enough that we use the same mats, and that your butt was where my face is now.
- For popular or scarce machines (benches, the only cage in the gym, etc.), do what you need to do and get out. It sucks to just sit around monopolizing a bench when there are other people waiting.
- If you are an old man who is naked and wants to sit on the bench in the change room and talk to every single guy there…don’t. You exist at every gym. Good for you for still working out, but please…don’t.
- Go regularly. I’m just as guilty as anybody of flaking out on routine, but without routine you will never get results.
- Eat properly. Nutrition is everything.
- If you are getting personal training, just do the work. If you sit with the guy for half an hour taking breaks, talking about the Raptors game, you are wasting your money and your time. Just work hard and shut up, and your trainer will help you get fit.
- Lift weights you can manage. You’re not there to impress anybody. Focus on form. Improve gradually but steadily. Push yourself, but don’t injure yourself.