Fan of the show, separated husband, father of four, and All-Canadian man, Matt Bascoe, joins us to talk about life.
Listen to Real Men Feel, #148, “Regular Guy Chat with Matt” here:
His wife’s request for separation was the kick in the nuts that got him to ask ‘what’s wrong with me?’ and led to him being willing to feel. This is an honest, authentic, vulnerable man.
“People don’t change, they grow.” ~ Matt Bascoe
One week ago, Matt messaged the Real Men Feel Facebook page, “good afternoon, as a man who has been forced in to finding his emotional awareness and thus being able to feel things I have never been able to feel, I want to say thank you for your podcasts…such eye-opening stuff that reinforces the things I have read in some self-help books on the subject of men being so emotionally closed off. Its been a rough road but full of learning and self-discovery that has allowed me to enjoy things I may have took for granted or overlooked or didn’t do as they made me feel a certain kind of way.”
Today, he’s this week’s guest in an honest and thoughtful way.
Topics and Questions Include:
- (1:37) What scares you about being on this show?
- (2:35) Why be on the show?
- (3:14) Have you always been willing to share in this way?
- (4:16) What’s going on in your life that is bringing these emotions up?
- (6:48) Were you aware you were living behind a mask?
- (7:55) Did your wife asking for a separation create this shift?
- (9:15) Nothing is wrong with me!
- (9:45) Were you taught how a man should feel?
- (11:15) Does masculinity change at the border?
- (13:21) How did you discover this podcast?
- (15:10) Sometimes feeling feels horrible
- (17:17) Are you separated and heading to reconciliation or to divorce?
- (25:26) What makes a great dad?
- (26:42) Had you done any inner work prior to the separation?
- (27:58) Did your behavior model your father’s?
- (29:46) Can you share a habit, practice, program, or book that has helped you?
- (32:13) What happens when men aren’t willing to feel?
- (36:35) What is one thing you wish more men knew?
- (39:14) This takes a risk.
- (41:14) What keeps you up at night?
- (43:43) Have you always been willing to give yourself the space to cry?
- (47:24) The urge to shut down or hate when a relationship ends.
- (50:27) What are you looking forward to?
- (51:27 )Anything else you want to share?
Watch Real Men Feel, #148, Regular Guy Chat with Matt, September 17, 2019
“Being emotionally unavailable is basically being stuck as a child.” ~ Matt Bascoe
Connect with Matt on Facebook or reach out [email protected]
Check out the book The Emotionally Unavailable Man.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to [email protected].
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Like the Real Men Feel show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Scroll down to the author bio for all the links to access more #RealMenFeel
A version of this post was previously published on RealMenFeel.org and is republished here with permission from the author.
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project and want to join our calls on a regular basis, please join us as a Premium Member, today.
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
A $50 annual membership gives you an all-access pass. You can be a part of every call, group, class, and community.
A $25 annual membership gives you access to one class, one Social Interest group, and our online communities.
A $12 annual membership gives you access to our Friday calls with the publisher, our online community.
Register New Account
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.