2018-2020 Platform for an informed electorate — Part 10 — ELECTION REFORM
Good Men Project Political Activism Social Interest Group, lead by Lisa Hickey, Publisher of the Good Men Project, and me, Carol Bluestein, has been working to develop a platform which supports a governmental agenda that includes basic human rights, equality, and justice for all.
In the short term, we are looking to educate our voters about the issues for 2018-2020 elections.
In the long term, we are looking at a change in our election strategy, moving from a primarily two-party system to Proportional Representation, and from a one choice vote to a Ranked Choice Voting / Instant Runoff- as proposed by FairVote. This would give all voters a voice and a group of people that represent them seated in Congress. The result would eliminate the possibility that our government would be controlled by any one party.
The GMP Platform is non-partisan and seeks to ensure:
- All human beings shall have equal access to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
- The Judicial, Legislative, and Executive branches of government remain separate.
- The separation of Church and State.
- No human being, for any reason, be subjected to persecution, subjugation, and/or discrimination.
- Facts, science, and research matter.
Part 10 of “We the People…,”: ELECTION REFORM
Each week, Good Men Project Political Activism Social Interest Group will post another section of the GMP Platform. We are in support of advancing the conversation to help define the ideology and philosophy for our elected officials and in our courts.
Reforms to our Internet communications and access
The reforms below are in a direct response to our country falling behind other democratic/open society countries which are far excelling our meager rankings when it comes to measuring health – physical and mental, education, height (believe it or not), live births, and income. This is doubly troubling in that once upon a time, we were in undisputed first place. As our country as moved from a mixed economy — government and industry and consumer protection groups pulling their equal weight, to an industry heavy model, the needs of government and the people have suffered.
Our Election Process
To make changes that if not favor the people are in balance with people and industry. The government protects the people and Industry protects the economy. It is not an either or but a together, a mixed representation. The election of representatives is critical so that our “Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.” Abraham Lincoln
In the US, we are beset by Russian interference in our voting and election process, we have gerrymandered districts that may not represent the true nature of a region, and we have an Electoral College which has proven that it will not do the work it was designed to do and therefore removes the presidential election out of the voice of the popular vote.
In the US, we have allowed corporations to pour unlimited amounts of money into elections to buy the election in favor of their position, regardless of the effect on the other 99% of the country.
For these reasons alone, we must revise our most precious right, the right to vote and have our vote count.
Change is up to the people – us.
“Taxation without Representation” was the battle cry of the Revolutionary War. To ensure that we have the choice, the free and unfettered choice to vote for individuals who we believe will represent our interests and the will of the people, we must take a look at our ineffective systems and revise them as soon as possible.
Part 10: Election Reform
1.Establish Election Day as national holiday so workers can vote
2.People are automatically registered when they interact with government agencies and their information proves citizenship: i.e. jury duty, social security, car registration, passport, etc.
4.Address Electoral college issues: Eliminate OR Revise
- Change from appointment EC members to ELECTED
- Change number of members from each state to reflect shifting populations
5.Secure the Vote (as secure as Bitcoin/Blockchain). One person, one vote, one time
- Paper ballot back-up
- Demand mailed paper ballots until machines are un-hackable
- Nationwide oversite agency as part of a constitutional protections. Rule of law which cannot be changed
6.Prisoners are citizens and may vote by special ballot. Change the 13th amendment. (Check on current rulings of people in psychiatric hospitals.)
7.Change elections funding
- End Citizens United
- Set a fixed amount that each candidate can spend
8.Revisit Primaries – Elections / Caucuses exclusive / look into how it is connected to electoral college
9.Enforce Rules of transparency.
10.Move to Proportional Representation: different factions, gaining enough votes, would have representation in Congress. The percentage require would be up for discussion. Main reason to adopt this is to make sure that no one party can hold the Congress and the White House and make decisions without collaborating with the minoriy parties.
- A more representative governmental body
- Power is more dispersed
- More and smaller parties
- More coalition cabinets
- Easier for third parties to get a voice
- Limit ability of President/PM to act independently
- Must use consensus to get results
- Tend to produce minority governments—rely on consensus, might be more unstable.
- May lead to fringe groups getting more power
- Possibly more work involved managing system
11.Ranked Choice Voting: gives each voter the ability to rank their choices for any position in any party so that their vote counts. It’s a back up should the first choice not have a chance, the second would be used, until one of the candidates gets your vote. A version of this has been proposed in the house.
|Sponsor: HR 3057)||Rep. Beyer, Donald S., Jr. [D-VA-8] (Introduced 06/26/2017)|
|Committees:||House – Judiciary; House Administration|
|Latest Action:||House – 07/14/2017 Referred to the Subcommittee on the Constitution
and Civil Justice. (All Actions)
Fair Representation Act (HR 3057) gives voters of all backgrounds and all political stripes the power to elect House Members who reflect their views and will work constructively with others in Congress. Under the Fair Representation Act, there will be more choices and several winners elected in each district. Congress will remain the same size, but districts will be larger, each electing 3, 4, or 5 winners. Voters will be free to rank their choices without fear of “spoilers.” No district will be “red” or “blue.” Every district will fairly reflect the spectrum of voters.
VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!
Links to the whole “We The People” Series
Part 1: Human Rights
Part 2: Social Welfare
Part 3: Jobs, Income, and Social Security
Part 4: Education
Part 5: Environment
Part 6: Government
Part 7: Law and order/Judicial Systems/Rights
Part 8: National Security and Infrastructure
Part 9: Taxes
Part 10: Election Overhaul (final)
Join the calls and participate in our POLITICAL ACTIVISM SOCIAL INTEREST GROUPS—WEEKLY PHONE CALLS to help discuss and help solve some of the most difficult challenges the world has today. Calls are for Members Only (although you can join the first call for free). Not yet a member of The Good Men Project? Join now!
What Now? Participate. Take Action. Join The Good Men Project Community.
The $50 Platinum Level is an ALL-ACCESS PASS—join as many groups and classes as you want for the entire year. The $25 Gold Level gives you access to any ONE Social Interest Group and ONE Class–and other benefits listed below the form. Or…for $12, join as a Bronze Member and support our mission. All members see the site AD-FREE!
Please note: If you are already a writer/contributor at The Good Men Project, log in here before registering. (Request new password if needed).
Your ANNUAL PLATINUM membership includes:
1. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to participate in ANY of our new Social Interest Groups. We have active communities of like-minded individuals working to change the world on important issues. Weekly facilitated calls that lead to execution of real world strategies for change. Complete schedule here, with new ones starting all the time. We now offer 500 calls a year!
2. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to ALL LIVE CLASSES. Learn how build your own platform, be a better writer, become an edit or create social change. Check out our training sessions. As a Platinum member, you can take them all.
3. Invitation to the MEMBERS ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook. Connect with other members, network and carry the conversation no one else is having one step further.
4. Access to our PREMIUM MEMBER LIBRARY with our recorded ConvoCasts and classes. ConvoCasts are a new form of media—and you are in them! Only Platinum Members get access to our recordings. And recordings of our classes are really valuable for those who do not have time to take the live classes or just want to review.
5. An ad-free experience. No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you log in.
6. Weekly conference calls with the publisher and other community members. Our weekly calls discuss the issues we see happening in the world of men in a friendly group setting.
7. PLATINUM member commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a platinum member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
Price for ANNUAL PLATINUM membership is $50/year.
Your ANNUAL GOLD membership will include:
1. Free access to any ONE Social Interest Groups.Try them out! We have active communities of like-minded individuals working to change the world on important issues. Weekly facilitated calls that lead to execution of real world strategies for change. Complete schedule here, with new ones starting all the time.
2. Free access to any ONE of our live classes. Each month, we have the following: Learn how to be a Rising Star in media, build your own platform, become an advanced writer, become an editor or create social change. Check out our classes here. RSVP for any one class—if you want to take more, just upgrade to an Annual Platinum Membership.
3. Invitation to the MEMBER-ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook and all Weekly Conference calls with the Publisher and community. Connect with other members online and by phone!
4. An ad-free experience. No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you are logged in—as long as your membership is active.
5. GOLD commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a gold member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
Price for ANNUAL GOLD membership is $25/year.
Your ANNUAL BRONZE membership will include:
1. Invitation to the MEMBER-ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook and weekly conference calls with the publisher and community. Connect with other members, network and carry the conversation no one else is having one step further.
2. A listing on our Friends of The Good Men Project page. Your support of our mission is noted and appreciated. See the page here!
3. An ad-free experience. No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you are logged in—as long as your membership is active.
4. BRONZE member commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a bronze member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
Price for ANNUAL BRONZE membership is $12/year.
We have groups and calls 7 days a week:
We have pioneered the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. Your support of our work is inspiring and invaluable.
Price for ANNUAL BRONZE membership is $12/year.
“Here’s the thing about The Good Men Project. We are trying to create big, sweeping, societal changes—–overturn stereotypes, eliminate racism, sexism, homophobia, be a positive force for good for things like education reform and the environment. And we’re also giving individuals the tools they need to make individual change—-with their own relationships, with the way they parent, with their ability to be more conscious, more mindful, and more insightful. For some people, that could get overwhelming. But for those of us here at The Good Men Project, it is not overwhelming. It is simply something we do—–every day. We do it with teamwork, with compassion, with an understanding of systems and how they work, and with shared insights from a diversity of viewpoints.” —– Lisa Hickey, Publisher of The Good Men Project and CEO of Good Men Media Inc.
Photo credit: Getty Images