Creative writing is an amazing way to boost kids’ imagination and communicate with them through the process of making something. As a part of the creative arts, it is extremely beneficial for children’s well-being. It helps children to release their feelings, find a healthy way to show them. The process of creation also increases cognitive abilities and helps to comprehend the surrounding environment. And, nevertheless, it is fun to do as an activity between parents and their children. If you want to incorporate creative writing in your family life, here are several things you might do.
Provide Safe Space and Time
It many ways, parenting is about providing the right conditions to the children. They are going to grow and develop their way and it is essential to be supportive, be around and help them in their path. Creativity is very tender and a parent should ensure safe conditions for children to show their imagination.
Here are the main rules of safe space for creative writing:
- Make it fun and together. The main point is to do it with kids at the same time. Tell them “let’s write a story”, so they know that you are here for them.
- Do not be an editor. The focus here is on imagination and its flow, the grammar and spelling are irrelevant for creative writing. Resist the temptation to check it and correct it, especially in the middle of writing.
- Let your kids lead the process. If they want to create a character or lead the story the way you don’t like it, let them do it. Do not disturb their creativity; after all, it is their story.
- If a kid gets stuck on an idea, help them by asking a question. What was the character thinking about? What does he want? Where are they? What is the weather? It can be any question, as soon as it helps to get over a block.
- Let kids choose their format. There are various options in terms of building a story, it can be a narration, poem, comic book, riddle, etc. Do not eliminate any possibilities, so the kids can find their voice and suitable means of artistic expression.
To sum up, the point is you do this together, but let the children dictate their stories in a comfortable way. Maybe one they will become novelists, journalists or even found their extended essay writing service. However, it is not the point; the idea is to help them express themselves.
Tips and Exercises to Endorse Creative Writing
1. Encourage reading.
To start writing one should be fascinated by the storytelling. And reading is the best way to endorse interest in literature. The secret is also, read together, for example, a bedtime story. Read together favorite fairytales and books, show your children how fun it is.
Another essential factor is to be an example. A kid sees the actions, so be a reading dad to show that you enjoy it as well.
2. Ask to describe something
One of the exercises is to communicate by describing things. Ask how new food tastes like, what it reminds of. Children are exploring the world in their fascinating way and the description might surprise you as you would never think about it in this way.
You may ask to describe a color, a plant, a toy to someone who has never seen it. Or ask to tell about the spring to someone from another planet. It is a fun exercise, however, if a kid doesn’t feel like it right now, do not push.
3. Help to Build a Story
Sit down together to create a story. It can start from something that happened or be completely fictional. The best way to help a child to build narration is by asking guiding questions.
- Where the event does take place?
- When the event takes place?
- Who is the main character?
- What is he/she like?
- What is his/her name, looks, behavior, etc?
- Are there any other characters?
These questions should not interfere with the process, but rather help in between. To start the story ask a child to imagine what is it like to be someone or something, for example, “look at this cup, imagine what the cup’s day is like? What are the adventures the cup goes through?”
And remember to be supportive and understanding, make it fn. And after the story or poem is finished, you can make a literary evening with the whole family and present the work. It can become an exciting family tradition.
Creative writing is an amazing exercise both for cognitive development and emotional intelligence. It boosts imagination and helps to express an emotion, that’s why it is important for children’s well-being. And it is also a fun family activity to connect with your kids. The main focus is to let a kid do the creation and let their imagination flow while being supportive.
This content is sponsored by Vasy Kafidoff.
This was so great I’m also a father and this article helps me a lot https://www.ukassignmenthelp.uk/get-university-assignment-help/ So the time I also help my child in their academic work as you.