The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) mandated that the Department of Justice release regulations aimed at ending sexual abuse in detention. Recently, the regulations have been released. They contain a lot of the things we’ve been looking for!
- Protection for vulnerable inmates, such as queer people and youths, who are the most likely to be raped.
- Stronger procedures for detecting and preventing sexual assaults by staff.
- Inmates can speak to trained counselors about their abuse.
- No time limits to report abuse.
- Independent audits of each facility every three years, which will be made available to the public.
Sexual violence, against any victim, is an assault on human dignity and an affront to American values.
[Stephen Colbert: "I just feel like my heart is going to burst because it's full of rainbows."]