In a world filled with fake friends, fake news and apps that allow you to create counterfeit versions of yourself, how do you inspire your children’s creativity and drive for life?
As a foster mother and a mom of a teen, I’ve had to learn how to navigate this subject. Being that creativity is so important in forming the person you will become, we’ve come up with some fun strategies to get a child’s mind engaged and open up a world of possibilities.
- Get out the glue gun and popsicle sticks
- You’d be surprised at the creations that can come from this. Let them build a home, a plane or even a bridge that holds their weight. Look at your possible architects, piolets, and engineers.
- Bring them out into the woods
- Not only can you bond with your kiddos this way but you can show them animal tracks, types of trees, and even bugs. Look at your future wildlife protectors, teachers, and entomologist.
- Bring them to a museum
- I know this would be hard for some parents and I know it was hard for my kiddo the first time. However, it is one hundred percent worth it. Look at your future artist, designer or in-depth thinking critique.
Children may be dreamers, but sometimes they can only dream as far as they have been brought out into the world. If the only things they have seen is tv, phones, and parents that do not play, the future is looking pretty dull.
Parents, I dare you to play! Be a part of who they become. Do not be someone who sits on the sidelines waiting for the day they turn eighteen.
Photo by UroshPetrovic on iStock