Keeping yourself healthy, happy and feeling good might seem expensive. After all, there will be some necessary investments, including buying sports gear or clothing, eating healthier and more.
The good news is that it is definitely not as expensive as you might think. In fact, there are some tricks and tips how to make it a lot less costly and still enjoy amazing results!
Here are some tips on how to stay healthy and keep you and your wallet happy.
1. Switch to cash
This tip is so easy, yet most people don’t realize how much they can save.
No matter what you are buying—Bring only cash to the store and pay with it. If your credit card is in your pocket, and you know that you can always reach for it, you may feel the urge to shop impulsively, spending money on things you don’t really need. If you bring only cash to the stores, you won’t overspend at all—simply because you literally can’t. You just don’t have the money!
Bring only the exact amount of cash you are comfortable spending. It will keep you on a budget and will help you to avoid impulse shopping.
2. Embrace (online) couponing
Another tip for your shopping routine is to use coupons as much as possible and everywhere possible too. And since there are millions of coupons both in print and online, you can use them at thousands of different stores.
From department stores like Target or Kohl’s, or more expensive ones like Whole Foods, to specialized stores for healthy living— these stores offer coupons or vouchers you can use for great discounts. Even if you are looking for sports gear clothing, you can always find some ways how to stay on a budget, as companies such Puma, Adidas, and Nike offer promotional deals as well.
You can keep yourself healthy by shopping smarter for both healthy meals and sportswear, you can almost bet that there are discount codes available for your local gym membership as well. With a little research, you can find great coupons resulting in great savings.
3. Use smaller plates
This is one of those tips that you can use to trick yourself and your brain. By choosing smaller plates, you will eat less and so, avoid gaining weight, overeating, and overspending too! Psychologically, when you use one big plate, you are unconsciously trying to fill it to capacity. This results in an enormous amount of food on your plate. By choosing one small plate, you can fill it faster and you will eat less, get full without overeating. and just stay up with your healthy eating plan much easier! This can work even if you visit a banquet, party or, most importantly, eat at home. Always chose smaller plates and trick your brains a little bit. You will use less food, and so, use less money at the same time too!
Additional tips how to stay in your budget and get healthy food:
• Buy in bulk. When you buy products in bulk, it is much more cost-effective. Use this trick while purchasing healthy food as well All the goods that can be stocked for long are definitely worth to buy in large quantities. For example, big blocks of cheese, sides of beef, bulk grains, bulk beans, a gallon of coconut oil, are a great way to save money and eat healthy.
• Buy frozen goods. If you want fresh vegetables and fruits all year long, then start buying it all frozen. In fact, frozen vegetables and fruits have the same food value as fresh ones, and it is definitely cheaper to buy them deep frozen than from farmers’ markets or somewhere else.
• Shop at local markets. For seasonal vegetables and fruits, as well as dairy products and meat, you can always win by shopping at your local farmers’ markets. In fact, it is always cheaper to buy it directly from a manufacturer, and you can be guaranteed that all products are fresh and healthy. And yes, we mentioned that it might get a bit more expensive, but after some time visiting those markets, you might befriend your local farmer and always get the freshest products and maybe some discount for a loyal client! It is definitely worth to try, isn’t it?
• Grow your own. You can also play it a little bit different and spend zero dollars if you plant and grow your own vegetables and fruits! It is quite easy, and it can work as a therapeutic activity as well. You will forget everything at the same moment your hands will touch the dirt, we promise Some people even count such gardening as a good way to exercise. Hence you won’t only get fresh products for free, but can stay fit without hitting the gym too!
• Buy whole chicken and fish. Forget about buying only parts of chicken or fish too. Start buying it whole and you will eat healthily and save money! Retailers tend to value their work cutting and tearing apart chickens and fishes by money. So why pay for things you can do yourself? And in fact, you can use absolutely all parts of it in many different meals. Just freeze the parts you are not going to use soon, and you will be just fine! It is cheap, and it is healthy without a doubt!
4. Get creative!
There are not many things in life you just must have and can’t live without. Many items are easy to live without and don’t really need to be purchased too. Maybe you can recycle something? Maybe use something for a little bit longer than they use to? Or maybe you can create something by yourself and avoid shopping for it?
If you are handy enough, have some time and creativity—many things are possible to make by your own hands! It will be a lot more fun to have something you’ve created rather than buy it! Trust us! So start knitting, sewing, cooking and making other products by yourself. It can turn out to be quite a hobby that will save you money too!
Photo: Getty Images