What’s something you
your mind about?
Show me a person whose opinions, tastes and beliefs remain 100% consistent and unwavering throughout their life and I’ll show you someone I probably don’t want to spend a lot of time with. To me, an important part of being a fair and reasonable human is the ability to course correct and reverse a previously held conviction, even if it’s something trivial. ESPECIALLY if it’s something trivial. Here are some of the stances I no longer embrace:
1) After years spent vowing to never let “raw fish” pass my lips, I tried a piece of salmon sashimi at a sushi restaurant. A decade later, nothing makes my mouth water faster than the thought of a platter of that which I once abhorred.
2) I used to insist I would NEVER own a cell phone. I now cannot imagine my life without one and roll my eyes heavenward whenever anyone lectures me about the damage they are doing to society.
3) In my teens I considered dance/pop music to be an ear plague that kept the uneducated populace from appreciating true musical art. Yesterday I bought the new Taylor Swift album.
4) I used to make a very strong point of never using emoticons in my online communications. 🙂
5) In the past I bragged about my inability to tie a necktie and how I would never wear one by choice. Today:
Do you share my preference for people capable of this kind of change? Or are you someone who thinks obstinacy is a virtue? Have you ever changed your take on an issue 180 degrees? Could you see yourself doing it, if you haven’t?