Do you struggle with focus? Without a clear focus, you can easily get off course and end up in a place you never wanted to go.
When your mind and efforts are scattered in many directions, nothing gets done well. The things you initially prioritize in the beginning gets pushed farther and farther down the list because you take on another task to complete. Focus is lost with one more task to do.
The fallacy of multi-tasking
The one thing I have experienced and witnessed that kills focus is multi-tasking. Multi-tasking is the lie that tells you that you can juggle many things at once and succeed. It is when you try to do more than you really are capable of doing.
In the beginning, it seems you are pulling off the impossible. You look like Superman to every watching eye. You get the applause from people about the great job you are doing and it seems you can do no wrong. With the seeming success come more and more things added to your plate. Instead of refusing, you believe the hype that you can do more without giving up something.
The great fallacy of multi-tasking is that it takes your focus off what you do best. You are robbed of achieving greatness in the areas that you thrive in. You are called to important work that not just anyone can do. The biggest obstacle to your focus is a million little distractions that you encounter every day.
Focus on the prize
A man running a race ultimate goal is to win the gold medal at end of the race. He lines up in the starting blocks along with the other runners in the race. He hears the starting gun go off and he begins to run the race. As he takes off, his eyes are focused on the finish line. His eyes are not focused on the runners on either side of him. He has focused straight ahead. He understands if he takes his eyes off the prize and focuses on the other runners he will be in danger of losing the race.
His ultimate goal is to cross the finish line ahead of the other runners to win the prize. The prize is what motivates him to run the race. The prize is what keeps him pushing forward when he wants to quit. Whatever you desire to achieve in your life is possible, but you must focus.
Focus sets your mentality to aim straight for a goal while blocking out other unproductive thoughts and distractions from your mind. Your ability to focus even when challenged by obstacles and opposition is the key to achieving the success you desire.
10 insights to grow your life
In our busy, pressure-filled world it is hard to stay focus, but those who succeed learn how to cut through the excess and focus on what is most important. If you need help, these 10 sights will help you demolish the barriers that are blocking your focus and grow your life.
- Avoid negative conversations. Do not allow people to make more withdrawals than deposits in your life. If you do, you will find yourself living in the negative. It does not take long for negative conversations from discouraged people to deplete your energy and enthusiasm. You do not have control over what others say; but you do have control over whether or not you allow them to speak into your life. You have the power to walk away and reject their poisonous words from infiltrating your heart and mind.
- Forgiveness frees you. Don’t live your life frustrated and angry about what others did or did not do. Forgive. Life is too short to live with unforgiveness. I know it can be difficult to forgive someone that done you wrong, but the consequences of not forgiving weighs your life down. You miss living your best. You forfeit peace of mind. Free yourself by taking the initiative to forgive. Because you forgive, does not mean you have to trust or have a relationship with that person. Don’t waste another second, seek forgiveness and live forward.
- You are not a carbon copy. You were created to be unique. You are not a carbon copy of anyone. You may resemble your father or mother, but you are not them. You may have gifts and abilities similar to someone else, but you are still different. Don’t fall into the world’s trap that wants to make you like everyone else, find the courage to be yourself. Uniqueness is priceless. It’s God’s gift to you. Being YOU is worth the effort!
- Embrace change and move forward. Change is often difficult. It can disrupt your life. It can interfere with your routine. The hardest part about change is letting go of what you were use to and moving on with something different. No matter how much you want things to stay the same, they will not. Change is inevitable. Stop worrying, fretting and doubting, and believe that things will work out. Embrace the change, live expectantly and enjoy your life as you move forward.
- Don’t let the fear of failure win. Don’t let past failures hold you hostage. Don’t let thoughts of failure keep you from trying. One of the major problems that keep people from focusing on their goal is the fear of failure. Every person experiences failure at some time. Realize that failure is not final and is a part of the success process. The key is to learn from your failures, get back up, dust yourself off and keep moving forward. You are not finished when you fail, only when you quit.
- Go to work. To get where you desire to be takes effort. You must roll up your sleeves, put on your workbooks, strap on your hardhat and go to work. Talking about your desires won’t bring them to pass. Dreaming about your future won’t open doors to success. Reading books about others success won’t magically transfer to you. You must decide that you are tired of where you are, choose to change your mindset, create a plan and consistently take action.
- Seize your moments. There are moments in life when you have to overcome fear, doubt, worry and just exercise your faith. You must come to the point when you say, “I am tired of living a mediocre life.” You have to say with confidence, “Though I don’t see how, where or when my vision will manifest itself, I am determined to pursue after it with tenacious faith.” When your moment comes, you can’t wait for other’s approval. You can’t wait to see who is going to go with you. You can’t wait for things to be perfect. You must seize your moment at the time it comes because you may never get that opportunity again.
- The world is waiting. You do not know what God can do through you until you do what He says. I am not promising that you’ll be a millionaire, everyone will love you or that everything will happen the way you want. When you realize your purpose from God, your life will never be the same. Colors will become brighter, words will become more powerful, time will not be wasted, your energy will rise and your vision will become clearer. Start living your vision today because the world is waiting.
- Break free from your comfort zone. The desire to remain in your comfort zone is natural and because of that instinctive need, we jump on the someday bandwagon and push our goals and dreams to the side until another day. Unfortunately nothing ever happens. Tomorrow becomes next week, which soon leads to next year. Then next year leads to five years, then ten years. Until eventually, the life you desired to live becomes a distant memory. You can’t afford to fall into the trap of “someday” because it may never come.
- Grow your life every day. Every day you should do something that makes you better than you were yesterday. The only way to reach the success you desire is for you to make a commitment to continually improve each day. Never think that you have arrived. You can always improve. You can always learn something new. You can always grow. You will find that what you get as you continue to improve daily is not as important as who you become along the way.
“Lack of focus, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have twenty-four hour days.” Zig Ziglar
Question: What can you do to focus and grow your life daily? Leave a comment.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock