We usually hear similar words but in a totally different scenario and context…yeah you guessed it right, ‘a Marriage Ceremony 😀.’
In my opinion, the only relationship that holds ‘a Lifetime Selfless Promise’ right from its roots is a Parent-Child relation.
The promising moment and journey begins the very moment this beautiful thought of bringing and raising a little human being in this world is instilled. This promise doesn’t end when the child gets a job or gets married. It is meant to continue till parents are able and alive.
Being a Parent myself, I will always be emotionally present for my child, if not physically present all the time ,whenever my child needs me, irrespective of my expectations as a parent.
Being Parents is being the Nurturers, the Selfless ones, oceans of love and much much more. Since Parents decide to bring a part of themselves…this human being, their child into this world, its their responsibility to be always emotionally present for their child till they are able & alive without any expectations.
This promise as a parent might be an Enigma for many of us, but we keep going and try to fulfill most responsibilities attached with raising our kids and be there for them in every possible way.
Everything done right, sometimes this godly promise starts to quiver and the roots of a parent-child relation might start to rotten overtime with certain unintentional parenting actions; (My reference to Child here being a Toddler ,a Teenager ,a Young or an older Adult);
- Snubbing your child when they need you the most instead of being empathetic
- Comparisons drawn continually between Siblings, Cousins or other kids of similar or different age groups
- Constant reminders of the sacrifices or troubles you’ve been through to raise your child.
- Not giving your best in understanding your child’s ambitions and passions , rather pushing them onto something society wants or you expect from them.
- Creating Expectations bar for your Child to reach in terms of family or social circles instead of letting them be, grow and reciprocate as they want to.
- Demeaning your child’s decisions even when they are older adults, instead of gently coaxing into a better decision for them or initiating healthy conversations
- Not Acknowledging your child’s little endeavors because they don’t fit in your higher expectations set for them
This list can go on; these are some of the scenarios I’ve observed around or talked to people about which in their case had led this beautiful Promise to quiver eventually.
Many Parents, even with their Best intentions at heart are surrounded by some kind of Abysmal ignorance which makes them completely unaware of HOW their involvement is fabricating their words and actions, hence affecting their child’s emotional growth and overall personality ; whether the child is a toddler, a teenager , a young Adult or an older Adult.
So, all you Wonderful Parents out there…Lets keep this Promise sacred and stronger than ever and try harder to be the Parents we are meant to be…Selfless, Nurturing, Loving, Understanding, Guiding & most importantly Empathizing towards our own Child in any damn circumstance that prevails at any stage in their Life.
We brought our Child into this world being very much Responsible for their Happiness. Lets Be the Parents who’ll be available for them Emotionally if not always Physically at any stage of their Life till we are able & breathing…
…that my Friends is Promise of a Lifetime 🙂
This post was previously published on A Parent Is Born and is republished here with permission from the author.
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project and want to join our calls on a regular basis, please join us as a Premium Member, today.
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.
Photo credit: Sarah Pflug