Why Women Aren’t Crazy

Sponsored Content

About Yashar Ali

Yashar is a Los Angeles-based blogger, commentator, and political veteran whose writings about women, gender inequality, political heroism, and society are showcased on his website, The Current Conscience. Please follow him on Twitter and join him on Facebook.

Comments

1. It’s important to understand that the writer isn’t saying it’s “ok” for women to completely flip out over minor things and for her male counterpart to just accept that she’s reacting to her emotions appropriately. The fact is, it’s pretty much been programmed into social media that women are overly emotional and over analytical. Because of this, whenever a woman shows any type of negative emotion towards an actual situation that she has every right to show discomfort to… she is shot down. I think its pretty ridiculous for the minor things some woman will get upset about. But it’s not about the minor situations. Like being “late”. A lot of the time men will disregard legitimate emotional reactions, to legitimate situations. That’s the problem. “We are labeled as emotional ticking bombs ready to explode at any moment”. Unfortunately because of this label, men identify EVERY negative emotion a woman has as “irrational” “crazy” “insignificant”. It’s an easy, quick, fix to get themselves out of a sticky situation. And is used against women, in order to not deal with a TRUE problem at hand. Women need to address emotions that is equitable to the problem at hand, “Don’t fret over the little things”. Men need to differentiate when a woman is upset for a very real reason OR acting bat shit crazy over something small. And if she is reacting to a true matter at hand don’t dismiss it. It takes maturity and understanding on both ends of the spectrum to not have this be a constant battle between the sexes.

2. Thank you for this article. Awhile back I really struggled with my job that I think was mostly in part that I was the youngest and only female on the team and would get emails as such:
    - We discussed the impacts on the team as it relates to how you are coming across when questioning directives being asked of you. The perception is that you are argumentative and unwilling. I would like you to work to change this perception by having a positive approachable and collaborative attitude when working with others
    - Emotional behavior – If you are finding yourself unable to control your emotions. I would like to ask that you step away from the office and take a walk until you can compose yourself. Team members have expressed their discomfort with this behavior and it is negatively impacting them and your ability to be productive .

These types of ‘feedback’ I thought was completely normal. I thought there was something wrong with me, and I was a terrible crazy person. I am a very quiet, introverted person, and to see this come in an email, I was so upset at myself. I stopped asking questions about ‘why’ and ‘what for’ in looking for ways to improve processes and eliminate unnecessary work. Instead I became more quiet, and always did as I was told. I hated my job, did not trust my co-workers and feared making them uncomfortable and never wanted to show any emotion.
    Now I have a new job, a great boss and great co-workers. My feedback is always positive, and my boss doesn’t mind me asking questions of any sort, my need for information to process work is understood and I am completely supported, not shut down or feel like I am a negative entity to the workplace.
    I only hope more people hear what this article says. Thank you.

3. My husband said that a woman will never be President because of the way MEN think.

4. So you’re saying that it’s all men’s fault no woman is president. gotcha. ok. well then i guess women simply aren’t allowed to vote. Or, if they are, then quite obviously men must outnumber women 457 to 1 at the polls…

GTFO with your senseless, useless, worthless, baseless broad-sweeping generalizations. you are doing nothing but taking up space and wasting oxygen.

5. Your husband is wrong. Women have been voted into the top political leadership position in India, Pakistan, Great Britain, Israel, Germany, Philippines,…

BTW, it was the women’s vote that brought the German Nazis and Italian Fascist into power resulting in the world’s most destructive war.

6. Sadly, I knew a girl in high school who said a woman could never be president because women are too emotional.

7. Loling @ you says:

The only reason a woman would never become president is because she never tried hard enough to be president.

8. Patrice Winter says:

so true

9. I think statistically there are more “thinking” women than men. We have the numbers, we can unify and organize, and we can help to evolve that viewpoint.

10. Lady Cass says:

The way that men think isn’t the only problem. The way that women degrade each other is also an issue.

11. Nonsensical Comment. Women are over half the population. To put it all on men is acting as if women don’t have some ways to change how they think too… as if they too don’t have responsibility… oversimplification.

Myself and at least 25 Million other men will vote for Hillary in the 2016 presidential election. I don’t expect her to get the majority of the male vote, but it will be close, and she may, in fact, do worse with women than Obama.

Hillary also did not lose the 2008 primary because of men. Both polled pretty even between men and women.

12. Any evidence in favor of your last statement? What was the percentage of wome who voted for them? What was the percentage of men? Was that difference – if it existed – enough to bring them into power?

13. The U.S. has already had de facto women presidents anyway. Certainly women who were major decisionmakers and presidential powerbrokers in their own right. John Adams and James Madison didn’t make any big decisions without talking to Abigail and Dolley first. When Woodrow Wilson was incapacitated by a stroke, his wife was for all intents and purposes in charge of the White House in 1920. In the 80′s, when the cameras left the room, the first thing Ronald Reagan usually said was “Where’s Nancy?” Not to mention the fact that there are White House insiders who joke half-seriously that Hillary already has been President, in the 1990’s….

14. LOLing Woman says:

My husband was refrring to the USA. I hope he’s wrong, but my instincts say something else.

15. Women couldn’t vote in Italy until 1946.
    Fascism formally ended in 1945.

16. Aharon, in making your last comment, you’re missing a whole heap (several decades) of complex social and political context. Plus there might be an inaccuracy in there. Probably best not to make such bald comments without considering the multiple factors in play? Someone might misinterpret your intent.

17. Unfortunately, if you look at current and former presidents and prime ministers around the globe who are were women, you find they did NOT appoint other women to their cabinets nor their ranks of advisors. Women throw other women under the bus at every opportunity. Women believe it takes a man’s persona, experience to succeed. Some women will have one close female friend, i.e., Hillary Clinton, Oprah!, but never more than one. Just the way we women are wired.

18. sadfulness says:

Right, because female candidates TOTALLY just have people lining up like crazy to fund their campaigns. Definitely.

19. Wow, I can see here that you are an experienced gaslighter yourself. Congratulations.

20. NoNameNecessary says:

Your entire comment is over-emotional, openly aggressive, attacking, and massively projects your own assumptions onto a single sentence comment that was not even an expression of the commenter’s own opinion. There is not a shred of logical discussion in your attack. Try again.

21. LMAO …seriously… You talk about democracy but you tell someone who expresses an opinion you don’t like that they waste oxygen, and to gtfo?

Seriously, chill out dude, and go buy yourself some self-esteem because if you need to spit your hatred on anyone who says something even slightly idiotic on the internet then you really have issues in the confidence department…

22. wait…. that last part is a joke right? cause it reads kinda like gaslighting…..

23. This comment is gaslighting .. thank you for such a clear example.

24. Jeanette says:

Stop being so overemotional and hysterical. Nobody is going to listen to you if you’re so shrill. You need to calm down and collect yourself.

/See what I did there?

25. Kate Liesl says:

LMAO… YOU’RE OVERREACTING!

26. Wow! That is a lot of anger and meanness expressed for such a small comment.

27. 100%Cotton says:

Poor Hillary. No money, no funding. The first REAL shot at a woman President and what happened? That big old bad Obama just privileged himself right over her head!

28. Peter Houlihan says:

-ahem-Your secretary of state-ahem-

29. There are what, 8 million more female voters vs male? Why aren’t women supporting the female candidates? Are these candidates in particular just terrible vs the males in this current run? Are the women supporting and funding these women?

30. No, a woman can never be president because they cannot be held ACCOUNTABLE. Legally they are treated like children. If a woman drinks and has sex with a man, that man is instantly guilty of rape. And basically they can murder anyone they want and get away with it. Well, if they’re white anyway.

31. rebecca says:

that’s what the sexist pigs want us woman to think so we will stay out of politics, have no aspirations, and stay at home where THEY want us. note: I have no problem with a woman who chooses on her own accord to stay home with her kids when they are preschool or even when they are in elementary but I do have a problem with how some men (key there is SOME) think that is a woman’s ‘place’ no it should be our choice and be respected as that.

32. I hear this all the time, then I mention Queen Elizabeth I

33. True, women can also gaslight. My ex-wife was amazingly manipulative in that regard. Everything that the article cites as examples of what men do to women, my ex did to me, our children, and her friends.

34. Frankly, if all women had the same emotional stability as high school aged girls, she may have had a valid point. Thankfully, people usually grow up and get past that.

35. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Mod note; Edited for personal attack on the commenter. Can’t be held accountable, kind of like the shitheads that dumped our economy in the toilet? Were those all women? When are they going to jail for that again?

36. I can understand your comment, but I do disagree with it. Women are accountable as men are, there are potential issues with the alcohol + sex if the law is gendered. There are women who do get convicted with murder, there might be the odd one that slips away but you’ll probably find men who get off too. If you can provide stats and info though to backup your claims, I’d like to see them.

37. If a man drinks and signs a contract he can rescind!!!!!!

38. Dave that is the stupidest thing I’ve heard. (am I gaslighting or he just crazy?) How many convictions of rape are there in America at the moment? How many of those go to prison? I like how you think there is some grand conspiracy by women to convict all sexually active men (nearly al of them??) with rape when the facts say otherwise.

People like you are the reason assholes try to pass laws like this

39. So many lies so little time. Actually sir, the numbers for false rape reports are often inflated (http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf). Having drunk sex and waking up the next morning feeling guilty about it does not count as rape. Should people be having sex at that level of intoxication? No. Consent gets sketchy then. And actually, if you were to go on rainn.org, you would find many wonderful statistics on rape reports and offenders. The more you know right? And women don’t get off easy for murder. They, just like everyone else, have to answer to their actions. I do however agree that white people have it way easier. And I do agree that women are treated are treated like children unfairly and wrongly.

40. Jennifer says:

That is a myth. When a woman wants to accuse a man of rape, its her character that goes on trial. This can be easily observed in high profile rape cases if you listen to the language used by reporters and those creating commentary on the event itself. There is also a huge myth about how easily women can accuse men of rape on college campuses. If you really think a woman drinks and has sex with a man that the man can easily be accused of rape, I would encourage you to research the channels women need to go through in order to do so. http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/i-got-raped-then-my-problems-started

41. textbook misogyny example

42. HAHAHA! I don’t usually laugh out loud but I laughed out loud when I read your comment. Yea, when are all those people going to jail, I forget!

43. So false!!

44. Women like Thatcher will get my vote every time. Hillary…not so much.

45. please. women have had to try at least twice as hard for most things…or many times more that. the right to vote, for instance.

46. care to expand?

47. Wrong women are not as much held accountable as men when it comes to sentencing. Like it or not women are treated more delicately than men because they are perceived as weaker. This sexism helps no one. Buts honestly this article is dumb I have met plenty of women who say mean things to men and then say they are just testing them. I have met plenty of men who are emotionally unstable.

48. Stefan Thiesen says:

What then is specifically different between American men and men elsewhere?

49. agree

50. Pat Riarchy says:

rebecca, that sort of psychotic nonsense is what has caused all the problems females now face. Men don’t want them. Please name a few of these sexist pigs who want females to be dependents on men so that men have to work even harder and miss out on their own children. Maybe you haven’t noticed a term called EQUALITY. That is to say that men want to be treated equally. If a female has the choice to quit work and retire then why can’t a father have the same choices? The problem is that females are determined not to work and not to be responsible for even themselves let alone their offspring.

Why haven’t you stood for election? If you are over 18 without a criminal record you are in. But no. You blame men for you not doing something you are freely able to do. That is truly pathetic in and of itself but it also exhibits clear indicators of clinical psychosis. This is what has caused society to cleave along gender lines. Men are bad. Men oppress females. All psychotic nonsense. However, the losers out of your misandry are females. In 7 years time men will have a choice and you females can not possibly compete. Human females will go the way of the dinosaur while we men explore the Universe. It’s just natural evolutionary progress although we men are boosting it along by a few hundred million years.

51. I think it’s important to note that Rebecca said “SOME MEN”:however you Pat have generalized all women as lazyand irresponsible. Thank you for your insight!
    Also, I am intrigued into your prediction into the next 7 years… Please explain?

52. A natural evolutionary process? If you ever turned on the Discovery channel or picked up a science book, you would note that women greatly outnumber men, and many are rising into positions of power all over the world. Your archaic views on women and their alleged determination not to work makes you the dinosaur, sir. All of the women that I know, including myself, are hard workers that have absolutely no desire to slow down, put their feet up, and leave all the work to the men.

53. Well, man, in todays world (at least in developed countries) men DO have a choice whether to stay at home with kids or to work. The question is: do they use their right to do so? At least in my country many men are still bullied for choosing fatherhood, and they’re bullied by men, not women. Does that say anything to you?
    You’re plain generalising what all females are determined to do (not to work and not to be responsible). Seriously? Is that all you know about women?Thats the same as I’d be saying “all men only want to rape women /use women/etc”, which is obviously not true. Not all men oppress females, yet many men do,as they are raised believing they are entitled to be respected and heard, whereas a woman must act a certain way to be respected and heard.
    Your diagnose of “psychotic nonsense” is a clear evidence you can’t handle oppinions you don’t like. I suggest you read the article once again, cause thats exactly what it was about- calling women psychos and etc. just because you don’t like what they’re saying.

54. NicoleZ says:

I’m sure Hillary would disagree.

55. ^or because of systemic sexism in American politics and society…
    I would love to see a female president! But I worry that because of stereotypes about women (to take the author’s example, being labeled over-emotional or “crazy”), it might be hard for us as a country (both genders) to get there. Both men and women can push for more equal representation of women in media and politics!

Loved the article and appreciated the arguments. Thanks!

56. The main reason most people will never become president is that we’ve got over 300 million citizens in this country, and there can be only one president in a given 4-year term.

57. Margerie says:

Because women don’t have as much money as men. They are kept out of the highest paying jobs. And the ones who have managed to become wealthy aren’t going to risk their careers funding a liberal candidate.
    It would be awesome if women could earn as much money as men and fund these candidates, but they don’t. Until they do, the United States and many other countries will continue being run by men.

58. What about Queen Elizabeth II?

Actually, during the Renaissance, when the world was overtly patriarchal, women held power in France (Catherine de Medici), Spain (Isabella), Scotland (Mary, Queen of Scots) and England (Bloody Mary, Elizabeth I). This would be every major monarchy in western Europe, except the Holy Roman Empire.

59. I don’t agree, I feel that there is less choice of women to select from and that is because women are not given the opportunity to pursue their work beyond a certain upper management level. If there are a 100 men and just 2 women to select from then how can there be women selected

60. ogwriter says:

Meghan Only two women have run for president in the entitre history of this country.Shirley Chisolm,the first,ran in ’72.Think about that for a moment.A black women from Barbados,in a uber racist and sexist country who doesn’t have the money or power or connections of Hillary (and many other white women-hello Diane Fientein,Barbara Boxer-Nancy Pelosi and many,many others).Yet, she ran.As far as I am concerned Hillary treats the office like she is entitled to it. Hence,I would vote for a Shirley Chisolm,but not a soft,entitled, woman like Hillary. Hillary said herself recently that women need to stop bellyaching,making excuses and run for office.Privilege can take the edge off a person.

61. God, I love facts. Thank you.

62. Anne Skupin says:

GASLIGHTING!!!! This is a response from a 70 yr. old grandmother with 2 under grad degrees and a MFA who has been told she is “too sensitive”, “over-reacting”, and her perceptions are just plain wrong, more often than she would like to remember since she was a young child up to as recent as 6 months ago.
    Is it not possible for most “adults” to listen to one another and at the worst just agree to disagree? is it necessary to tell others how to think, to attack their opinions and to be hostile toward anything the listener does not agree with?
    The comment above is a beautiful example of how to do fail to do any of these things!

63. Agree and I’m sorry you had to put up with that for so many years! Hopefully the next generations will be far more evolved. We are paving the way for them!

64. Poetentiate says:

Kept out? by whom?

65. Uggg please stop commenting, the reason YOU (not all women, just you) don’t make as much money as a man is because you’re not as intelligent and/or hardworking – that’s it, plain and simple. You revealed as much with your comment on women being kept out of the highest paying jobs. High paying jobs aren’t just handed out, if you want that high paying job you have to be willing to work the long hours and sacrifice for that type of work and position.

Do you need a list of women that are incredibly successful? Here’s a few: Sheryl Sandberg, Oprah Winfrey, Hillary Clinton, Virginia Rometty, Ursula Burns, Meg Whitman, Nancy Pelosi, Anne Sweeney, Marissa Mayer, Marylynn Hewson, Amy Pascal, Arianna Huffington and the list goes on and on and on….

None of these women complained about being kept out of the highest paying jobs, google them all, they’re all at the top of their fields making the most money. The United States will continue to be run by men because most women wouldn’t want that job, if they really did I’m sure they would be just as successful as men are if not more so.

Do some research before you make such a sexist comment, your lack of effort when making such a post revealed to everyone why YOU don’t have a high paying job.

66. Legal Eagle says:

This is a misstatement of the law. Generally, intoxication is no defense to enforcement of a contract. In some states, if the promisor is very intoxicated, the promisor may disclaim assent, but only if he or she does so immediately upon sobering up.

67. Some men do have a choice to stay home with the kids – but it is a fallacy to think it is a really choice for all men. I brought this up in a conversation at a dinner party once and ended up having the biggest fight of a relationship because I had the audacity to suggest that I would be willing to stay home with the kids if that situation came up. It was merely a hypothetical, and it nearly caused a break up. I live in a modern, first world country – and this woman is a lawyer. I know 4 men who stay home with kids – I know hundred of women who do – It’s still far away from being an Actual choice for men – and It continues to be a viable option for women..if they so choose. Just because it is allowed and happens – does not mean its an on going option for most people.

68. This, it’s heart breaking to see women fight each other over such petty things when we could unite and be a great force in the world.

69. I completely agree with you. While I agree with this article for the most part, I think he should have also spoken about the fact that women do this to other women all the time, not just men. And In my opinion, that is so much worse. Women should support, uplift and respect each other. Instead, we have petty, catty, and cruel emotional manipulation going on.

70. Tell me about it. One woman I know HATES other women. I’m trying to teach her that no, women as a whole are not bad, just some PEOPLE are. Her family seems to have a low opinion of women altogether, so I see where she gets it from. I used to be catty but I realized that was immature. Women need to encourage other women like you said, not tear them down.

71. That in itself is sexism. You’re just as bad as the people you claim are bad.

1. [...] A 2012 piece posted to the Good Men Project site suggests that gaslighting may be a gendered phenomenon — in other words, it posits that women are disproportionately subjected to gaslighting behaviors, including in the workplace. In “Why Women Aren’t Crazy,” author Yashar Ali writes: [...]

2. [...] girls that the most important thing about her is her appearance, not her brains. Later in life, we manipulate women against trusting their own instincts, or themselves. From start to finish, we barrage women and girls with everything wrong about them. They [...]

3. [...] interesting article of the act of “gaslighting” and why it’s hurting [...]

4. [...] Excerpts from http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/why-women-arent-crazy/ [...]

5. [...] replacing the neurotic messages we send to women and girls with something true, something sane, something [...]

6. [...] just read this super insightful piece about how it’s pretty common for people to tell women they’re overreacting/too [...]

7. [...] the term Gaslighting… This was a new term for me. You can read the blog entry in its entirety HERE titled Why Women Aren’t [...]

8. [...] Am I being melodramatic? Is the fact that I just asked if I’m being melodramatic simply the product of centuries of reinforced gaslighting? [...]

9. […] Has gaslighting conditioned women into thinking they're emotionally unstable? Yashar Ali thinks so.  […]

10. […] originalmente publicado no blog do Yashar, The Current Conscience. Nós lemos pela primeira vez no The Good Men Project. Tradução feita com permissão do […]

11. […] an article making it’s rounds on social media called Why Women Aren’t Crazy.  It has words that I needed to hear.  I didn’t know I needed to hear them, but I did. […]

12. C O O LTURA says:

13. […] Why Women Aren’t Crazy. An older one that I think I’ve shared before, but still really good. […]

14. […] habe ich in einem Artikel darüber gelesen, wie sehr Frauen sich “typisch weibliche” Eigenschaften einreden […]

15. […] ‘Why Women Aren’t Crazy’ by Yashar Ali is worth a read as he describes and illustrates how this interchange gets going, and how it sets up a passive aggressive response in the woman.  I would add though that this dynamic doesn’t just appear between men and women, but between gay and lesbian couples, close same-sex friendships and work relationships, but yes I agree, it is most obvious between a heterosexual couple. […]

16. […] been wanting to talk about this post on The Good Men Project for a while now. But you know – one thing after another, etc etc. […]

17. […] Men Project, and they’ve posted, in my opinion, some interesting and thought-provoking things as well. I get my conversations about ethical masculinity, as well as a million other things and […]

18. […] “What he [Ali] claimed was that when women are told they are being defensive or over-reacting, it’s because of pervasive institutional sexism seeking to shut them down. There is therefore no such thing as an unreasonable woman. End of story” (1). […]

19. […] when I was perusing the internet in my downtime and was caught my the article title “Why Women Aren’t Crazy.”  The writer Yashar Ali makes what I believe is an incredibly astute argument regarding how […]

20. […] Yashar Ali wrote a good description of where the term gaslighting comes from and what it is. […]

21. […] teach the way I’ve been taught. As Taylor Swift would say, the cycle ends right now: the bulldozing cycle*.  It’s funny how you set out to change your students and they end up changing you. And yes, […]

22. […] gaslighting har även börjat användas i feministiska kretsar men då från ett mer strukturellt perspektiv. Istället för att prata om enskilda manipulativa individer så diskuteras gaslighting som en […]

23. […] feeds a sexual assault cover-up quite like the pervasive idea that women are crazy for addressing bad behavior. Students in Maryville were quick to tell Charlie Coleman (the older […]

24. […] publicado no blog do Yashar, The Current Conscience. Nós lemos pela primeira vez no The Good Men Project. Tradução feita com permissão do […]

25. […] asshats, are just not savvy in the realm of interpersonal communications, are intentionally gaslighting you (link to a fantastic piece on The Good Men Project), or are disordered something-paths or […]