Hey guys! Vacation was fun. Stuff, unfortunately, Kept Happening while I was gone, which was deeply insensitive of it, so I’ll just round up the shit that happened with my commentary.
1) Chick-Fil-A, in a move that surprises no one, fucking hates gay people. The Jim Henson Company has severed all ties with them! So that’s good. Yay Muppets! And Chick-Fil-A is blatantly lying about why it was severed, which is less good and more fucking hilarious.
2) Scotland is introducing gay marriage. I’m rejoicing with you, Scottish LGB people!
3) TW for rape of children. Our culture moves, slowly but surely, into one where it is generally considered not okay to cover up child molestation! Monsignor Lynn becomes the first Catholic priest convicted of covering up child molestation by priests, while the NCAA sanctions Penn State in a way that leaves a lot of assholes whining about how the football program is hurt. Maaaybe they should have thought of that before they covered up the rape of children.
4) Clarisse Thorn has a dissection of a (TW for descriptions of rape) rapey PUA lay report and a conversation about the gender politics of erections.
6) More on objectification in Magic Mike. I swear I’m linking to every article on objectification in Magic Mike I can find just so I don’t have to watch that damn movie.
7) Massive TW for descriptions of rape from the point of view of a rapist. The Reddit thread where rapists share their experiences of being rapists. I haven’t read the whole thing (God, I would vomit) and I was very conflicted about posting this. There’s a horrible element to this of “it’s so brave for the rapists to share their stories, and it’s in the past so they don’t owe a debt to the law or anything,” a lot of self-congratulatory rapists, a centering of rape around the rapist as opposed to the survivor, and I do not want to ignore or downplay that. However, I do think the number of men who are all “I hate rapists I will kill them all” is very interesting (shades of Knight/Beast dichotomy) and also I found it somewhat interesting how this entire thread is evidence that feminist theories of what rapists are like and how rapists act are, you know, entirely true. As sad as it is, there is nothing that surprised me in the portions of that thread I managed to read, although there was quite a lot that made me want to take a shower.
8) A grocery store creates a “man aisle.” The items sold include ramen, snack foods, condiments, beer, and condoms. Siiiiigh. The idea, however, is based on the good news that the percentage of men who shop for their families has more than doubled in the last thirty years. Equality is coming!