My sons motivate me to be a better man every day.
I’ve never been good at New Year’s resolutions. I can’t even remember what my resolutions were in the past because I stopped doing them by February.
Something changed when I became a father. My sons motivate me to be a better man every day. So rather than try to swim against the current, I’m going to make this year’s resolutions easy by taking on things that I already do. Rather than fix something that is broken, why not complement something that is working?
This list is not meant to be prescriptive. Your list might be completely different, but I hope you can find things you do every day that make you a good man.
- Love my sons.
- Love being a father.
- Love the mother of my children.
- Dive deeper and deeper into compassion for myself and others.
- Give thanks every day for all the blessings that life has bestowed upon me and my family.
- Give more presence rather than presents.
- Share my joy with anyone who enters my field.
- Give myself credit for being a positive role model every day that I don’t intentionally hurt anyone physically or psychologically.
- Take credit for the smiles on the faces of my sons when they see me.
- Recognize the service that I provide to my sons, my family, my community, and the world by trying to be a good man.
Although these are more resolutions than I have ever made in one year, I feel like this list is something I can accomplish.
What does your list of resolutions that you are already doing look like? Feel free to share in the comments below.
Photo; flickr: Kristina Alexanderson