Building America, By the People, For the People
This group – Building America, By the People, For the People – couldn’t come at a more crucial time. So many on both sides of the political aisle are looking at a deeply divided nation, and asking: “What can I do?” Do this. Come together with a bi-partisan group of like-minded individuals who are focused on repairing and rebuilding our country. We will identify critical issues created or exposed by this election which requires both our immediate attention and long-term commitment. Once defined, we will craft a plan of actionable steps to address these issues with the cooperation of good men and women of both major parties.
Last month, the group discussed the Us Against Them mentalist we hear so often in socio-political conversations. This post was the product of that discussion:
We want to get past the ‘us against them’ mentality. And we’d like to hear from you on how to do it. Here, we’ve started…
Just last week, this post from SIG leader Daniel Tyler Pohnke summarized his leadership of the group:
KEYS TO BECOMING AN AUTHORITY IN YOUR HEALTH
My wife and I have had some interesting experiences with our Health system lately. Sparing you the details, I will just say, we have now, after a long search, connected with a Pediatrician and Family Practice Doctor that listens, focuses on whole person healing and will not do anything without full consent on our part.
So Many of us continue to give away our power to our doctors. 30 years ago, before we had available tried and tested information, studies and education at our fingertips, that was the solution, to have faith and trust those in authority.
That time is over.
Now, WE ARE THE AUTHORITY. If you are willing to do the following 4 things in ANY situation regarding your personal health, you will create win-wins EVERY time!
1. Do the work and educate yourself around the “challenge/issue/problem”. Work on your critical thinking skills. Work on your intuitive skills. Work on your ability to articulate problems and solutions clearly. Use GOOGLE!
2. Do the work to listen to your body. It really is about conversations….a conversation between you and your body and a conversation with you and your doctor. An ongoing conversation between you and your body can go a long way towards preventing a breakdown in your health. Are you eating right, drinking enough, getting enough exercise, relaxing, sleeping, stretching etc. Listen deep, you might find yourself attracted to different foods, sunlight and activities that you never had before, all because your health needs it.
3. Get educated on how to have the conversations with the “Authority” or science-minded individual. Understand that you will be getting a lot of information, and have a way of evaluating that information that makes sense to you but doesn’t ignore information simply *because* it i from an authority for example.
4. The fourth was being able to distinguish between something that was truly an emergency and something that wasn’t. Most of the time small bumps in the road become catastrophic because what we needed most was to slow down and stop stressing out. Learn to use the pause button in life.
Yes, there are REAL emergencies that happen, yes there are times when doing what your doctor says is most beneficial. The point here is that, by doing the deep inner work and educating yourself, you will never do it blindly again!
The Good Men Project’s original mission, one it has stayed true to all these years, was “spark an international conversation about the changing roles of men in the 21st century.” That conversation has taken many forms—articles, blog posts, videos, podcasts, books and e-books, comments, classes and speaking engagements and live storytelling events. People have described us as thought-provoking, addictive, provocative, diverse, visionary, even heroic. There is a general consensus (tell us if we’re wrong!) that no other media company is having the large-scale discussion we are having about men, manhood and masculinity. You’ve perhaps heard our numbers: 100 million visitors since we began, 350,000 comments, 60,000 posts and articles. We have pioneered the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. We are “The conversation no one else is having.(™)“
We are a participatory media company, changing the face of media in the 21st-century.
Most media companies have a standard way of operating. The create content, and people come and “consume” that content. There may be online comments (although many media companies are shutting those down as they become increasingly unwieldy). Or perhaps people will share a story on Facebook or Twitter, prompting online conversations there.
Yes, we have all of those kinds of digital conversations.
We also believe in the power of hearing someone’s voice. To be able to formally introduce yourself to someone. To be able to ask questions in real time. To be able to clarify a point, or to add your own insight.
Remember the conversations you used to have as a kid when you all slept over at a friends house? Or at your college dining hall, where you could stay for hours debating the happenings of the day. Or at a really good party, where you say “wow, those were the interesting people I met all week.”
We have actual conversations, where groups of people get on phone calls—and the experience is just like that. Some people say these calls are the most interesting calls they have all week. One person called them “heroic” because we tackle some of the most difficult topics on the planet. One participant recently said, “These calls open doors I didn’t even know were closed.”
Join us. You have to be a Premium Member of The Good Men Project—-but Platinum Members can join any and every call, class and event we offer. Gold Members can come to any one group and take one class. And Bronze members (as well as Gold and Platinum) can join in the Friday Call with the Publisher.
Here are some calls going on now. If you already are a Premium Member—just RSVP for the call you want to join below. If you are not yet a member—-join here! (or scroll down for the registration form and benefits.) We’d love to have you.
The rest of our weekly Social Interest Groups include:
The #StopRacism Social Interest Group does what it says: talks about racism and works to stop it. We use strategies and frameworks used in the Civil Rights Movement back in the 60’s. We have a diverse, growing, engaged group. If you have never talked about racism before…no worries. We will lead you down the path and help you learn and grow.
The Disposability of Men
This group takes a relatively small, specific problem—Concussions and CTE in the NFL and Youth Football—and asks the question of why we allow our men and boys to be injured and killed, while simultaneously calling them heroes. Difficult to talk about? You bet. But it is another critical conversation in today’s changing times.
Mixed Race Relationships and Parenting
A few highlights of this group:
- Mixed race partnerships (beyond black and white, beyond heteronormativity)
- Parents of mixed race children
- Teachers and leaders who serve mixed race populations
- Tools for navigating incidents of bias in mixed race relationships
- Resources for families and community partners
Men’s Mental Health Social Interest Group
The Men’s Mental Health will examine the stigma and prejudice against mental health issues in our culture that often prevents us—and men in particular—from getting the support that they need, and will work to de-stigmatize mental health issues. Part of that work often includes the sharing of our own stories. This series is currently a fast-based Twitter Chat. Come join us!
Environmental Activism Social Interest Group
The Environmental Social Interest Group will discuss not only how men relate to nature but also important environmental issues of our time and how we as a community can take action to solve them.
From climate change, deforestation, and species loss, to rising sea levels, and ocean acidification, people all over the world are feeling the impacts of environmental destruction.
Indigenous rights are being ignored while their land is being exploited for fossil fuel extraction More and more oil pipelines are spilling polluting our waterways. Marginalized communities are bearing the brunt of industrial toxic pollution. The list of environmental atrocities seem to be getting longer. This isn’t just a fight to save the environment, it’s a fight for justice. A fight for humanity.
If you are not yet a Premium Member of The Good Men Project—here is everything you need to know.
Register New Account
Here are the benefits you will receive at each level of membership.
Your ANNUAL BRONZE membership will include:
1. Invitation to the MEMBER-ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook. Here you can connect with other members and give insight and input into future Good Men Project content.
2. Free access to exclusive our Weekly Calls with the Publisher and access to our Premium Member Library. Our e-book (with more to come) is available in our members-only library and can be accessed by Bronze members. You will also have access to our weekly conference calls with the publisher. If you want additional exclusive access to our trainings, classes, and live events, choose the Platinum or Gold level above.
3. A listing on our Friends of The Good Men Project page. Your support of our mission is noted and appreciated. See the page here!
4. BRONZE member commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a bronze member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
Price for ANNUAL GOLD membership is $5/year.
Your ANNUAL GOLD membership will include:
1. Invitation to the MEMBER-ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook.Here you can connect with other members and give insight and input into future Good Men Project content.
2. An ad-free experience.You’ll see no banner, pop-up, or video ads when you log in.
3. Free access to participate in any ONE Special Interest Group. Join a community of like-minded individuals to work to change the world on the issue that’s most important to you. Weekly facilitated calls that lead to the execution of real-world strategies for change.
4. Free access to any ONE of our live streaming classes. Want to learn how build your own platform, learn to be a better writer or learn how to edit? Check out our training sessions. Gold members get one fee class and one free Special Interest Group.
5. Access to unlimited weekly conference calls with the publisher and other community members. Our weekly conference calls discuss the issues we see happening in the world of men in a friendly group setting.
6. A listing on our Friends of The Good Men Project page. Your support of our mission is noted and appreciated. See the page here!
7. GOLD member commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a gold member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
Price for ANNUAL GOLD membership is $20/year.
Your ANNUAL PLATINUM membership will include:
1. Free and unlimited access to participate in ANY of our Special Interest Groups.Join a community of like-minded individuals to work to change the world on the issue that’s most important to you. Weekly facilitated calls that lead to the execution of real-world strategies for change.
2. Free and unlimited access to ANY of our live streaming trainings, classes, calls, and other exclusive content. Want to learn how build your own platform, learn to be a better writer or learn how to edit? Check out our training sessions which are free to Premium Members. Members of our Gold Level premium community will also have access to live events, e-books, weekly conference calls, and invite-only video chats.
3. Invitation to the MEMBERS ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook. Here you can connect with other members and give insight and input into future Good Men Project content.
4. An ad-free experience.You’ll see no banner, pop-up, or video ads when you log in.
5. Free access to exclusive our Premium Member Library. Our e-book (with more to come) is available in our members-only library.
6. Behind the scenes access to weekly conference calls with the publisher and other community members. Our weekly conference calls discuss the issues we see happening in the world of men in a friendly group setting.
7. A listing on our Friends of The Good Men Project page. Your support of our mission is noted and appreciated. See the page here!
8. PLATINUM member commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a platinum member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
ANNUAL PLATINUM members will also receive a FREE copy of The Good Men Project anthology E-Book.
Price for ANNUAL PLATINUM membership is $50/year.
photo credit: Pixabay