We know what we want and what we should do. Jason Kiesau challenges us to think about what we should BE.
When I was a business coach with E-Myth Iowa (now the Benchmark Business Group) we used a simple equation with our clients to help them get laser focused on what kind of person they needed to be to get the results they wanted to have. It’s so impactful, I continue to use it today with leaders all across the United States.
BE + DO = HAVE
In order to HAVE the results you desire, you must DO certain things, and BE a certain way. Sounds simple, right?
What kind of life do you want to have?
As a culture we are very good at thinking about what we have, don’t have, or want to have. When we like what we have, we tend to be fine. But, when we don’t like what we have and desire to have other things, that can be the cause of insecurity and stress.
When we know what we want to have, we are also pretty good at knowing what to do; even if we don’t actually do it. There are lots of guys who talk about what kind of man they are and what they want out of life with little focused effort and follow-through. There are others who seem to have it together at all times. There is a difference; one is a talker and one is a doer. The talker talks and the doer turns their wants into haves. So, we are pretty good about knowing what we want to have and what we need to do. In my experience, very few men think about the BE’s.
The BE’s are the most important parts of the equation.
The BE’s are the spirit and attitudes that makes the DO’s and the HAVE’s possible. It’s the motivation when you’re tired, the calm demeanor when things aren’t going your way, and the confidence that allows you to follow your passions and make your dreams a reality.
- What kind of man do you need to BE to earn the respect you desire?
- What kind of man do you need to BE to take care of your family?
- What kind of man do you need to BE to have a great relationship with your children?
- What kind of man do you need to BE to confidently pursue your passions?
- What kind of man do you need to BE to change the world?
Define Your BE’s
In my book FOCUSED – Your Future Starts Now! I walk readers through the journey of defining their meaningful BE’s, DO’s, and HAVE’s. The process connects people to their values and passions, helps them create a vision based on their values and passions, and create a plan to live the life they want to live.
If you are interested, I’d like to walk you through a process I take people through when our time is limited.
- Take a moment and think about a time where you felt at your best or “in the zone;” where your confidence was through the roof, everything was going your way, and you felt on top of the world. I hope you know the feeling I’m talking about.
- Write a short paragraph describing that person.
- Read over your paragraph and describe that person using only five words.
- Those are your BE’s.
What you have just done is described how you show up when you are at your best and how you must show up to BE at your best. Those are the BE’s that will make the DO’s and the HAVE’s possible.
I’m far from perfect, but I truly try to walk my talk and live my life in accordance to my five BE’s. I know to HAVE to life I desire I must BE:
I would love to know what your five BE’s are. If you feel comfortable, please share your BE’s in the comment section below.
Good luck BEING, DOING, and HAVING!
Top Image: Matt/Flickr